Sponsored by:

Installed RS LWF this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 01:15 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 625 Likes on 480 Posts

Good question - my race car has a totally stock engine internally (it's well broken in with 98,000 miles on it!...) and it is a lot lighter of a car which would make it easier to drive with a LWF than a stock, heavy 964 which takes more ooomphh to get moving.
Plus the RS LWF setup I have has a much heavier pedal pressure required... makes my street 964 feel so light!
Old 12-07-2006, 02:47 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by TR6
So, just when I was convinced that a LWF was a bad idea based on some folks that said that adding a LWF was a mistake due to stalling, had to swap it back for stock, no good for daily driver in traffic, etc, I see this thread extolling the positive virtues of a LWF. So which is it? Is it a good idea for a daily driver including periodically dealing with stop and go traffic? Also, exactly what kind of performance does it gain you? I know it doesn't actually add horsepower, but instead allows the car to spin up faster and get the horsepower to the rear wheels faster. But what does that really mean in terms of driver impressions? Does it make the car accelerate off the line faster?
Greg,
Lets get together some weekend and you can drive my car. 7.5# extremely light flywheel with other mods which add to the stalling. But, it will give you an idea of what could possibly happen if you did this to your car and the feel difference. My car is also set up with a very heavy pedal which I dislike more than the stalling issue.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:49 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, Steve. I'd like to take you up on that.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:43 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by TR6
So which is it?
Adjusting the ISV is only half the solution to the stalling problem. The other problem (and the real one) is that fuel is turned off until 1240RPM when you are off-throttle. In terms of the idle vibration/noise that travels along the shift rod, different people have different levels of tolerance and expect different things from their cars. I think i prefer the LWF but I haven't driven a DMF car back-to-back to know if its all in my head. On paper it should drive better. I won't say the idle chatter bothers me but I have on occasion pushed in the clutch pedal to get rid of it. And unfortunately there is nothing you can do for the noise you hear at low RPM at high load. Before you buy a LWF try to drive with or in a similar 964 that has one installed, that is the only way to know.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:50 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
And unfortunately there is nothing you can do for the noise you hear at low RPM at high load.
Yes there is Jason. Install big cams and dual out Fabspeed and you can't hear any chatter
Old 12-07-2006, 06:07 PM
BostonU
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sorry for opening another can of worms about LWF's. I'm extremely happy!! The car does accelerate much better in 1st and 2nd gear. I don't notice that much in 3rd or higher. I drove a lot last night, and noticed that the car just keeps pulling. Before, I would have great power from 3500 until 5000 and it felt like the car would flatten out in power. Now, It just keeps going until redline. Just my opinion.

BosonU
Old 12-07-2006, 07:37 PM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

The 89 C4 flywheel is the best of both worlds ! Lighter than a dual mass but heavier than an RS . No transmission rattles / stalling !
Only problem is , it doesnt fit a 90 on motor/transmission correctly.
I think the Andial version involves bits bolted on for weight .

About time someone got a lathe going and started making these for the later cars ?

Geoff
Old 12-07-2006, 08:13 PM
rodders
Racer

I have had the LFW for a couple of years on my car that I have owned from new - Oct 1989
- and IMHO you are all right !!
... but I think Garrett is a bit spoiled by his motoring and that prejudices his opinion.
- my car is an only driver ( other than my wife's 1974 Sporto ) so I have to get my kicks as and when I can
- I use it every day through the center of London and back on the school run and bobbing around - you do hear the gear chatter, it does stall a bit when cold and that is a pain, but the perception of acceleration is much better, even more so with an open air filter ( great induction noise but supposedly of no value ) and with the usual exhaust and suspension mods, you have most of the RS mods that matter but a fairly stock looking car.
You cannot tell the difference between driving an RS and my car - I drive all the models so you can believe me.
There is no way I would go back to the DMF - I hated it every time I started the engine, even after 12 years I would stall the damn thing occasionally when maneuvering ( the DMF is not perfect )
I hate the DMF flywheel, it ruined the car, and the crappy front end suspension.

If you are a real anorak the LFW is a no brainer - you shouldn't have to ask
Old 12-07-2006, 08:50 PM
rodders
Racer

this is the new avtar ??
Old 12-07-2006, 08:51 PM
rodders
Racer

no its not - too big??
Old 12-07-2006, 10:38 PM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

Geoff,

Got one lying around I could copy?
Old 12-07-2006, 10:43 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not that is the same car or anything, but I just did the LWF on my 993 as well as disconnected the front torque tube and what an amazing transformation!!!!! LOVE IT V.Bob supplied the parts and plenty of friendly advise and general chat.....
Old 12-07-2006, 11:11 PM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

Heirsh,
Sorry but I have only one and its in use ! Its not a straight copy job. The timing + ring gear is moved along the flywheel for the later cars .
Maybe put the two side by side and get the right bits from each ?
Look foward to your new line of medium weight flywheels !!!

All the best

Geoff
Old 12-07-2006, 11:54 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 993inNC
Not that is the same car or anything, but I just did the LWF on my 993 as well as disconnected the front torque tube and what an amazing transformation!!!!! LOVE IT V.Bob supplied the parts and plenty of friendly advise and general chat.....
Did you drop the extra 100 pounds too or just disconnect?
Old 12-08-2006, 12:26 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Red rooster
The 89 C4 flywheel is the best of both worlds ... No transmission rattles
What are the chances a rubber centered clutch disc will fit between the stock pressure plate and LWF?

Originally Posted by Red Rooster
No ... stalling
Adding a 2nd dimension (for IAT) to the fuel rpm turn-on map, turning the injectors on sooner and increasing the gain to the initial ISV dwell map seems to have cured it 100% (knock on wood). I'm just waiting for more chips to send out to people for testing. Finding non-refurbished wide-temperature range 27C256 proms is getting more and more difficult.

Originally Posted by 993inNC
Not that is the same car or anything
The only thing different (that I found) about the 993 is that it has some additional rubber isolation on the gear shift rod that is missing on the 964. I believe whatever it is on the output shaft that is vibrating (and causing the noise) are the same?

Last edited by JasonAndreas; 01-03-2007 at 05:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Installed RS LWF this weekend