Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Friday Folley

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006 | 10:53 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Default Friday Folley

well, not much going on, but I had grand plans to drive the Porsche to our Porsche region party tomorrow night. We're getting about 12" of snow today, so that plan may change I drove it last night, possibly for the last time in a while.

Plans for winter are:

Valve adjustment, oil change, tune up including new plugs, cap, rotors, fuel filter, possibly a K&N air filter, install rear seats, and dye rear seats.

here's my other project over the next 18 years. I'm getting into photography a little more, and I'm just experimenting.

Last edited by hawk911; 09-27-2007 at 03:50 PM.
Old 12-01-2006 | 11:36 AM
PorscheZen
Rennlist Member

very nice photo - another winter project of mine too.

ahh the ramblings of the winter Porsche-Lustig...
Porsche drivers are like surfers. Period. I've known surfers it's the same passion and lament.
We just surf the (excuse me for this) turf. - ahh!
Haven't driven for two weeks - TWO Weeks... I'm jonsin' bra. Last night went to sleep wondering how much oil has seeped into my cylinders. Don't want to know!

I also I started to build my 964 Carrera 1/24th scale model that I just got from eBay. I need some kind of symbol to stare at during the week because my car resides in an underground, city parking lot 5 blocks from my apartment - so all you garagers out there need to Recconnize whats deyz gots!

For me, i was going to take off today (and DRIVE) but waaay too much rain and wind to contend with on the east coast. It's been balmy here. Been thinking this area could've had more track events - oh well, maybe when Global warming has had more time to thaw PCA schedules.

Hawk, How do you intend to dye your seats?

Winter Projects:
Cryogenic Slotted Rotors/Bhp Brake pads
"Cross" suspension installation
Spring: Paint scratch, door ding pull and ultra cleaning for concours no. 3
Old 12-01-2006 | 11:39 AM
sundog
Race Director

Grand plans to install the pistons and cylinders this weekend. Just need to find the new snap rings today.

Oh, yea, and the Christmas tree tomorrow, a month of natural air freshener in the house!
Old 12-01-2006 | 11:59 AM
kgorman
Drifting

I need to get the parts today for some maintenance:

- air filter
- oil change
- trim clips for the 'fin' and valence.
- single pulley mod from http://www.patrickmotorsports.com

I should get all the parts before next weekend. I have a two-day'r at TH coming up in Jan.
Old 12-01-2006 | 12:05 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Two weeks ago I finally received the new studs for my rear wheels. (They were ordered in august. Not sure where they went for all that time) Anyways while removing the driver side rotor, a small retaining spring popped off the e-brake, and so my car has been up on jackstands ever since. The replacement arrived yesterday so I guess I will get that done. Its -25 here and snowing. Im not that interested in driving the car in this. I would have to put on the rims with the nsow tires and I dont feel like it.

Hawk: Nice picture. I have to admit I have no skill with picture taking. I'm just a point & click guy.

I also should pop off my valve covers and check the valves, and plugs. I have about 800km on the car since the rebuild. I have been sealing up a couple oil leaks on the oil cooling lines and at the level sensor in the oil reservoir. Motor looks dry so far. It honestly looks like its easier to adjust the valves by dropping the engine...

Sundog: Glad to hear you are making progress. Are you going to post some pics?

Kirk
Old 12-01-2006 | 12:18 PM
Jim Howley
Burning Brakes

Had the dreaded MOT test this morning but the only issue was my rear fog lights not working

Also received the bill for the oil change, new wheel bearing and front wishbones. £985 and there are still more things that need doing
Old 12-01-2006 | 12:24 PM
sundog
Race Director

Originally Posted by KirkF
Sundog: Glad to hear you are making progress. Are you going to post some pics?

Kirk
Yea, I'll post some pics on Sunday, just because I know that you miss having your hands in the internals of your engine. Who told you to use the threebond to seal the cylinders to the case? I've been told to just let the o-rings do the job. Seems like there are many ways to "reseal" a 3.6.
Old 12-01-2006 | 12:29 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

You guys and your cold weather! Its going to be 85 here today. I drove into work with the top down
I need to pull my auto spoiler off and fix a crack in it from where the bi-wing I put on bolt goes thru. Seems it stressed it and broke the plastic. I think some JB weld and a metal plate behind the nut should work.
Old 12-01-2006 | 12:33 PM
Syd B.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hawk911
Here's my other project over the next 18 years.
If you thought your Porsche was expensive.......
Old 12-01-2006 | 12:38 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Snow on the roofs here in Texas today. Was going vintage racing but have a bad cold...so staying back. My 964 goes to the dyno next week primarily to get air to fuel readings for a new chip. Very interested to see how the numbers look? Going to try and clean up the heavy fuel smell from the cup cams at idle, help the stalling from the LWF (not really that bad) and try and get a little more out of it. Will see......

Oh, nice baby! Had two of those once....now they are teenagers. How did that happen
Old 12-01-2006 | 12:52 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Sundog,

Ya there is a million opinions on how to reseal an engine. There was alot of threads on the pelican engine rebuilding forum, and from that a list was made from the opinions of the top engine builders.

Outer Case Halves: Threebond 1104
Bearing Saddle Surfaces: Loctite 574
#8 Bearing (balancer end) O-Ring: Threebond 1211
Case Thru Bolts: Dow Corning 111 on Green Viton O-Rings
Flywheel Seal: Curil-T
Balancer Seal: Curil-T
Intermediate Shaft Cover to Case: ThreeBond 1211
Oil Breather Cover to Case: ThreeBond 1211
Cylinders to Case: Curil K-2 or ThreeBond 1211
Cam Towers to Cylinder Heads: Threebond 1104
Cam Chain Housings to Case: Threebond 1104
Cam Chain Housings to Cam Towers: Threebond 1104
Cam Chain Housing Cover to Cam Chain Housing: Threebond 1104
Gaskets: Thin coat of Loctite 574

And thats what I used.
It too early to say how successful it was or wasnt. Its the heat cycling on the engine that makes the oil leaks so bad, and I only have about 500 miles on mine so far. But at this point I have no engine oil leaks. I did have leaks from the level sensor in the oil reservoir. (Which I never had out) and one of the oil pipes at the thermostat housing. Initially I had a small leak from the power steering seal at the camshaft, but once the seal seated itself it seems to have dried up.

I have to admit that since I put the engine in, I have been taking a break from working on the car. I think I needed a month or two to get away from it for a while. But I am starting to build up a little bit of enthusiasm for tackling the remaining problems. (Do the problems ever end with an 18 year old porsche? )

Kirk

Quick Reply: Friday Folley