Front Trunk Light Switch

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 05:02 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts
Default Front Trunk Light Switch

Could someone please take a look at the light switch that is part of the front trunk locking mechanism and take a picture or let me know if yours looks different from the one in the image below? I'm trying to find out what if anything is missing, possibly a spring?

Old 11-21-2006, 05:22 AM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jason,

I'm confused. AFAIK the luggage compartment light is operated by a switch up near the right hand hinge. I wasn't aware of ANY electrical connection to the latch mechanism.

Regards

Dave
Old 11-21-2006, 09:58 AM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Jason,

I, too, seem to have no electrics to the latch mechanism and do have a light switch within the rhs hinge.

I tried to take some pics, but my camera died and the phone pics were useless. I'll take some later when the camera has charged up again, but the plastic cover over my latch hides most of the interesting bits.

Cheers,
Dave

P.S. Mines a 91 with a Sept 19, 1990 build date.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:23 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

In mine the light is control from a switch in the right hand side hinge as well...
Old 11-21-2006, 10:42 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My light is not hooked up. I've been wondering about this too!

Do tell...
Old 11-21-2006, 02:00 PM
jeffnudd
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im was pretty sure the switch in the catch is for a alarm?

My light switch is on the right hand hinge too.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:03 PM
Michael Delaney
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jason, On my '94 Speedster there is a micro-switch under the passenger side bolt on the latch mechanism. On my '91 cab there was a pin switch near the passenger side hinge. Must be a change in the later cars.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:21 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Pics of Front Trunk Latch - 91 C4

Here are a couple of pics of my front trunk latch and a shot of the light switch on the rhs hinge.

By the way, the red wire showing through in the 2nd pic is from the battery tender. I don't see any electrics near the latch itself.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Dave
Attached Images      
Old 11-22-2006, 01:53 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Computamedic
AFAIK the luggage compartment light is operated by a switch up near the right hand hinge. I wasn't aware of ANY electrical connection to the latch mechanism.
According to PET the microswitch was moved to the luggage compartment locking mechanism starting with MY92. So I guess I have to find someone with a digital camera and a newer model (Garrett???)

Originally Posted by Smokin
My light is not hooked up. I've been wondering about this too!
The hood mounted switch in Dave's photos looks to be exactly the same as the switch used on the passenger compartment doors (i.e. dirt cheap). The wiring contacts will oxidate but the switch itself is usually fine. If you aren't interested in R&R'ing the switch you can buy that portion (i think) of the wiring harness for an MSRP of $21USD.

Originally Posted by Jeffnudd
Im was pretty sure the switch in the catch is for a alarm?
The wiring from both style/location switches ends up at the alarm control unit on pin #3.

Originally Posted by Michael Delaney
On my '94 Speedster there is a micro-switch under the passenger side bolt on the latch mechanism
Well that throws a wrench into PET's explanation. I wonder if Porsche continued to use the early model cab/speedster wiring harness on the later models?

Originally Posted by dfinnegan
the plastic cover over my latch hides most of the interesting bits.
To remove the plastic cover all you need to do is slide it upward but there is nothing really interesting hiding behind it.

Originally Posted by dfinnegan
Here are a couple of pics of my front trunk latch and a shot of the light switch on the rhs hinge.
Thank You for the photos!!!
Old 11-22-2006, 03:35 AM
deep_uv
RIP

Jason, Here's some pics with the lock plate cover on. If you need me to take it off and shoot some more, let me know.

Steve
Attached Images      
Old 11-22-2006, 03:53 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Thank You so much for the photos! (everytime I edit my post I notice additional images popping up in your message ) If you manually operate the locking mechanism does the trunk light go off? I can manually operate the switch by pushing the metal tab portion (red arrow with ??? in the image below) but closing the trunk doesn't have the same effect. Is there anything like a spring sitting between that metal tab and the pivoting arm or is there anything on your locking mechanism that is missing from my photos? In the first photo you posted it doesn't look to be the case so now I'm wondering if just bending the tab would fix the light.

Old 11-22-2006, 04:10 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Jason, the little tab on mine seems to sit down lower than on yours. When I pull it down (grabbing from below) it makes contact inside the switch and turns the light off. My tab resides just below the latch part I pointed to with the green arrow on your photo. That part must be what causes the switch to make contact when the trunk is closed. Need more pics?

Cheers,

Steve
Attached Images   

Last edited by deep_uv; 11-22-2006 at 04:14 PM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: Front Trunk Light Switch