Sponsored by:

Leatherique seat restorer + Photo of Targa

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 04:18 PM
seaeagle
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leatherique seat restorer + Photo of Targa

Having read Mysteron 35 new post, I realised I have never posted photos of my 90 C4. So here it is. All I have changed is the steering wheel. Have had it for 18 months of hassle free motoring (with the usual maintenance required for a car of this vintage).130,000km's on the clock at present and the last top end rebuild was at about 100,000km.

The seats are in good shape (no tears etc) but could use a revamp to bring them back up. I am told Leatherique is the best thing other than recovering them.At a quite reasonable cost for good results. Has anyone used this product?
Attached Images      
Old 11-20-2006, 05:56 PM
DustinTarditi
Instructor

I have a friend in my PCA group who restores & dyes leather upholstery (on the side) and raves about leatherique. His recommended approach to get the leather back to a very supple nature is to remove them, clean the leather, cover them with the leatherique and then place trash bags over the seats and put them in the sun... after a day or so of this, wipe off the excess and reinstall the seats.

This is just his recommendation - I've simply applied conditioner to my seats and they got more supple.

BTW - nice steering wheel!
Old 11-20-2006, 09:43 PM
merrick
Instructor

I too had the dreaded bolster wear on my 91 C4. I have used Leatherique and have been very happy with the results, although it does take some work and some patients. I have also used the Griots Garage Leather Rejuvenator(to help restore) and Leather Care (for between care) both work great for up keep.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:53 PM
ducnine
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 16 Posts

Off Topic:

Here is a pic of my 90 C2 Targa. Grand Prix White w/black interior.

Is your car lowered?

CP
Attached Images  
Old 11-21-2006, 03:11 AM
seaeagle
Advanced

I don't believe its lowered but then I never asked and no one has ever told me one way or the other! Its had a by pass and a chip and 17" wheels (all before I bought it), plus the new techart steering wheel I installed. But other than that its pretty much stock, including the radio. But that 's for another time.Its no rocket ship but plenty quick enough and the sound with the roof off at 6,000 rpm. Well you know what I mean.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:12 PM
ducnine
Rennlist Member

I removed my secondary muffler and replaced it with a Dansk bypass and it sounds great. Cheapest Exhaust mod that can be done. Its so much faster (In my world) with all that weight missing. The sound of the motor/exhaust are great indeed.

The PO installed 17" 993 knockoff wheels and a K&N Filter. From the outside my car looks almost exactly like yours. Is yours full leather? Mine is a pretty basic 964 Targa with really no special options.

Its getting to be winter here in Ohio so the Targa is pretty much in hibernation until hopefully March.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:52 PM
seaeagle
Advanced

yes all leather seats.

Take the roof off in Winter! Don't be soft! How cold can it get. 0 to -15C or sub 32F?

We have absolutley no appreciation of cold weather in Sydney Oz. I imagine freezing windchill in an open top targa, with prosepcts of rain and snow would more or less necessiate the roof on and/or hibernation.

On the other hand, I attempted to dirve to Melbourne last year in highsummer (1,000km or 650-700 or so miles) with the roof off in about 35 C say 88-90F. Impossible.the sun burns you to a frazzle after 4 hours even with a hat and +30 sunblock. Had to wear a long sleeve shirt and long pants. 2 hours roof off is fine. 4-10 hours is hard work!

So its roof on with the aircon blasting in high summer for long trips! Its then that you must have a targa top that does not rattle and whistle which I believe I have rectified with new seals and tightening.

So maybe Its me that is soft?
Old 11-22-2006, 12:18 AM
ducnine
Rennlist Member

Did youreplace the seals yourself?

I have a few whistles hear and there and while driving I think Air gets under the top and make it bubble up. I suppose new seals will fix that. The PO had the top refinished so it looks like new.

No driving with the top off in the winter here. I would not mind if there was a nice layer of snow on the ground while its cold. It brightens up the scenery. But here for 6 months out of the year it gets bitter cold and not much snow and lots of grey skys. Depressing until I open the garage and see my Targa waiting for spring.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:33 AM
jjbunn
Racer

I used Leatherique on my Saab's white leather seats. They were in dreadful condition (although not torn) lots of cracks, dryness, and too much exposure to the sun. The Leatherique worked very well: the cracks all but disappeared, and the leather became more supple. It even started smelling like leather :-)

I believe the temperature is important, when using this stuff. You have to keep it high. In SoCal this wasn't a problem. It sort of oozes in to the leather, and I suppose the warmer the seats are the more it penetrates the surface.

In the kit I bought there were two bottles: a "Prestine" cleaner and then the rejuvenator.

Since I had some left over, I've been treating my 964's seats ... although they didn't really need it.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:42 AM
wsybert
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to hijack, but ducnine, that is a very nice looking Targa! Never was a fan of white cars, but yours looks great.
BTW, was in your neck of the woods today.... Mount Vernon. Took the Pcar. Nice drive.
I thought I would never take mine out this late in the year, but it is just too much fun to drive.
Top on, of course.
Bill
Old 11-26-2006, 06:23 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Julian is right. Temp is important. I stick a small cermamic heater in my cars when I use it to get the inside cabin nice & toasty. The stuff works great. I have used it on a bunch of my older cars & it really brings the leather back to life. Follow the instructions & do several applications if they are really dried out. I bet you will be pleased with the results. Good luck

PS: Usual fine print applies: I don't own the company, the owner has never bought me a beer, etc. Just a satisfied customer.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:20 AM
seaeagle
Advanced

Angry

Well my enquiries of the excl distributor reveal the product is unavailable in this neck of the woods. Unavailable I tell you! On its way but yet to arrive. If i get it before xmas I am away, just wait for the next 30 c+ day, put it in a sun trap, close the windows and let mother nature do the rest. I just need the product. Its going to be 35+ tommorow but alas I have no magic liquid.

Quick Reply: Leatherique seat restorer + Photo of Targa