Sponsored by:

Mobil1 0W-40: An Assessment

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 05:51 PM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adrian,

Where is the lead coming from? Don't know for sure. We can point at the normal places lead can pop up, such as the bushings on the crank or rods, but its just guessing. The amount in my analysis is less than the universal averages, even with the 5w-40, so its not a problem. My real problem is/was chrome. Above normal limits and is what prompted me to change oils. The jury is still out on that one.

Its not that I don't respect the designers. Quite the contrary. What I have trouble with is that they are overruling the recommendations of the people whom I believe designed my engine. It could be that those people are part of the group that did this overhaul, but we weren't told that were we?

If the bulletin was accompanied by something like:

"Newer generation oils are able to protect the same at a lower weight than older oils. Our studies, including tests on actual engines, have proven that there is a benefit to using the oils now being recommended by Porsche. Even older generation air cooled and solid lifter engines should be enjoying the benefits of these now recommended oils."

If they just gave us a bit more information on why and how it would be easier to swallow.

For now I have to go with my results from my analyses. I realize that there is error in the tests and many other variables that can alter them greatly. I would love to hear about your experience with oil analysis, if you are willing. More information is always a good thing, even if it clouds the issue.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:52 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

http://63.240.161.99/motoroil/

I am not the author. An interesting long read on the subject and one that has been debated to death on the 996 forum
Old 11-20-2006, 06:14 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Heirsh
Adrian,
Its not that I don't respect the designers. Quite the contrary. What I have trouble with is that they are overruling the recommendations of the people whom I believe designed my engine. It could be that those people are part of the group that did this overhaul, but we weren't told that were we?
If the bulletin was accompanied by something like:
"Newer generation oils are able to protect the same at a lower weight than older oils. Our studies, including tests on actual engines, have proven that there is a benefit to using the oils now being recommended by Porsche. Even older generation air cooled and solid lifter engines should be enjoying the benefits of these now recommended oils."
If they just gave us a bit more information on why and how it would be easier to swallow.
I have to say this is the strangest argument I have ever seen, but at least it's original. I am sure the current crop of Engineers at Weissach would be somewhat insulted, but that's their problem. Their bosses by the way might well have worked on the M64 engien design. I know one that certainly did and he is still there. He will retire at the end of this year though.
I don't really have the time to relate all the issues with using oil analysis as a sole basis for making such decisions. Let me just say the results could be extremely varied when sending in oil samples and many times we pulled engines based on these analysis results only to be told by the engine overhaul facility that the wear was normal and we pulled the engine too early.
We turned to other forms of analysis like looking at temperature within preset operating parameters to see what the trend was.
I do this whilst driving actually still to this day. I keep an eye on the temperature indications. I watch that temperature rises when it should. I look athe indications to make sure the thermostat has opened and the temp comes come down and where also where the temp stabilises as compared to oil pressure and my position on the road. I can usually notice when something is abnormal and then I act and take a look especially when using very familiar roads. Just one of those things that comes from doing this kind of stuff for so long.
Ciao,
Adrian.

Last edited by Adrian; 11-21-2006 at 03:26 AM.
Old 11-20-2006, 06:15 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Spend a little time on http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/ubbthreads.php
It'll make your head spin.

This list is pretty Euro-centric, as could be expected. Most of the ones marked "World Wide", I've never seen in the US.

I have to be a little skeptical of a list that has US-made Castol Syntec on it, which is a blend.
If it's the German stuff, that's different because it's a different oil and fully synthetic.

I think a top-shelf brand of synthetic is good enough for anything you put it in.

The viscosity debate could go on forever, and on some of these oil forums, it has.
Old 11-20-2006, 06:19 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven C.
http://63.240.161.99/motoroil/

I am not the author. An interesting long read on the subject and one that has been debated to death on the 996 forum
The 996 forum was just the latest in a long line of oil forum debates. This has been debated since Noah was a lad.
I had this same discussion 10 years ago when I put 0W 40 in my 944. The "Masters of Porsche engine doom" told me that it would spill out all over the ground and I would blow my engine up. Guess what? It didn't and it ran great until it left my ownership to a new life elsewhere.
The debate doesn't change just some of the names because the model base expands.
Ciao,
Adrian.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:42 PM
N51
Rennlist Member

My thanks to everyones' posts. Most, if not all the technical data, I've been aware of. But is is always the real world experience I'll fall back on.

For all the engines I maintain, I've never had an engine failure. Some have seen continuous use of mineral based stock, while others have had full synthetics. I change, modifiy, or stay the course, based on my observations.
Keeping things simple and reliable is the goal.

For my RSA, my earlier observations are part of that, and I'm satisfied with the change to 0W-40. Base only on my own lab experience, I am not a proponent of engine oil analysis.

Gary's early post is the direction I'd most likely take for our air-cooled cars. OW-40 for street, 15W-50 for track.

Noah
Old 11-20-2006, 11:16 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 170 Posts

I'm the new messiah...
Old 11-20-2006, 11:32 PM
N51
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I'm the new messiah...
I was sure you'd catch the bouquet, but don't plan the wedding. The next hp thread can't be too far off.

Noah
Old 11-20-2006, 11:57 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 170 Posts

Old 11-21-2006, 07:42 AM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I'm the new messiah...
Congratulations and good luck holding on This oil thing is a slippery slope