Sponsored by:

Front bumpers-lighten and modify-questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 09:07 PM
Hildy911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front bumpers-lighten and modify-questions

I've been giving some thought to the front end of my car. Truthfully, I've never liked the 964 bumper. The main reason is the lower opening with the bar in (approximately) the middle. I think it looks very 80s. Furtheremore, mine is warped, which I know is common.

I have some ideas that I would like some feedback on, and if anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. To start, I went to the RUF USA site and saw aluminum replacement bumpers for underneath the skin. While I don't wish to put my car on a severe diet, reducing mass at the ends of the car seems like a good idea, especially for track work. Anyone try these?

Also, I am considering opening up the lower "hole" by removing the center bar and creating more of a "smile" shaped hole. This hole would be filled with a grill that I can have fabricated that would essentially have an aluminum trim piece around the entire opening and then a mesh insert. It might aid airflow a little bit, but mainly, it is intended to alter the appearence of the car. I would also add a RUF lower trim piece which will hopefully help stabilize the car at speed. I like my fog lights. I know it's common to replace them with ducts for brake cooling, but I feel I can incorporate that into the lower cut-out.

If you've done anything to yours, I would love to see pics.
Old 11-18-2006, 09:40 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know that they make the ducts with fog lights in them. They are very nice looking and a few members have them. You can straighten out your front "smile" very easily! You just need to take off the bottom pan by taking out about 20 screws. You then use a pair of pliers to straighten out the mounting tabs... Reinstall and you have a straight smile!

I too would like to see some different front bumper options. It seems that from 98 on up they have a host of options. The 964 only has a few.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:34 PM
N51
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you considering your modifications for stability concerns? If so, it may be best to emulate what Porsche did with the RSA. In particular, its' front to back rake. Mine is rock stabile at *indicated* speeds of 169mph. It just sits there. I've no desire to change the front or rear dam. I note so many lower their cars and have no front-to-back rake.

Noah
Old 11-18-2006, 11:53 PM
Hildy911
Instructor

Rick-Thanks for the tip on straightening. It's been a sore point and I will appreciate the improved appearence while I search for my final solution.

Noah- Stability is a concern. Around 145 it get's a bit squirrely. Not bad, but not confidence inspiring either. The car does sit rather high as is and I am addressing that this winter with a JIC suspension. I might also add a higher wing. Not so sure on that one.

On RSA's-I must be missing something. I'm under the impression that the front ends of the C2, the C4, and the RSA are identical. Am I wrong?
Old 11-19-2006, 12:23 AM
N51
Rennlist Member

"On RSA's-I must be missing something. I'm under the impression that the front ends of the C2, the C4, and the RSA are identical. Am I wrong?"

No. My reply was misleading to mention the front air dam. They are the same. I can only speak for my car and my experience with it. It is the rake that, I believe, adds stability in conjunction with the rear spoiler. Maybe those who race these cars can enlighten us both.

Noah
Old 11-19-2006, 01:01 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by N51
Are you considering your modifications for stability concerns? If so, it may be best to emulate what Porsche did with the RSA.
Technically, the RSA, C2 and C4 all have identical ride heights...
Old 11-19-2006, 01:15 AM
N51
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by garrett376
Technically, the RSA, C2 and C4 all have identical ride heights...
Yes, I would agree, but in reviewing photographs in Adrian's good book, that does not seem likely? With my limited experience, Hildy's (in)stability may point to an elevated ride height?

Noah

PS: I would add that my car has been lowered, but the front-to-back rake has been maintained.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:27 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Noah you are certainly correct that a greater rake makes for a much more stable car at high speed. My C4 is solid at 145mph, even when 996 cup cars go blowing past and upset my air

My street car never sees speed that high, but I also have it set to a significant rake as well - it looks good, too

Regarding the ride heights, the factory workshop manual shows the same height settings for all US cars.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:24 AM
N51
Rennlist Member

Garrett,

Sorry about those cup cars. :-)

But this thing of rake has me most curious. I do not see it on most of the photos posted here. Certainly, these cars have been modified to the owners' intent, but very few show the rake as a standard RSA. I'll accept your knowledge in regard to the shop manuals. Maybe there's no such thing as a stock 964 anymore. We're losing our identity. :-)

Noah
Old 11-19-2006, 02:35 AM
N51
Rennlist Member

Garrett,

One thing I would add: I still run the 205's on front. Less drag and lift. Going to a larger tire, I might consider lowering the car a little more. But I'm really hesitant to change anything, as the car is near perfect for my street use.

Noah
Old 11-19-2006, 10:18 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting to hear what you guys are saying about rake. My car sits level, and for good reason; front end roll center. The pro who built my car explained that as you lower them, and mine is really low, the front end roll center drops, and the front end grip becomes unpredictable. Raising the back aggravates this problem. There is a lot about suspension technology that is not obvious, and sometimes mods that improve the car in one area hurt it in others.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 11-19-2006, 10:56 AM
Hildy911
Instructor

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
There is a lot about suspension technology that is not obvious, and sometimes mods that improve the car in one area hurt it in others.
You've said a mouthful! I'll defer such things to my mechanic who has the expertise to set my car up appropriately. No small feat as my car is for street and DE's. I need a suspension that will not only clear road hazards that I encounter such as dead racoons and driveway approaches, but it also needs to rip around Road America, among other tracks, at speed. I wish there was something that would allow height adjustment on the fly ala the old Citroens. The way it is, I'll have to find a compromise which will undoubtedly lower the car somewhat, as well as make the ride more firm. This will be acceptable as my stock ride is a bit more plush than I'm used to.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:21 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Also if you lower the front end too much, the brake air scoops ln the underside of the car lose their functionality... ahh, compromises in the world of amatuer racing!!!
Old 11-20-2006, 02:39 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Anyone seen a good howto/DIY for actually removing the bumper bars to lighten the car? Is there a downside, like crash protection?
Old 11-20-2006, 10:09 AM
1990-964
Pro

I'm glad to see that there is someone else out there that sees the front bumper is in need of some cosmetic update. I too have been thinking about removing the horizontal bar and posibly going the route of late model AMG Mercedes with a shaped perforated mesh insert used as a grill. Just need to find the time to cut it out and do the fill and sand work around the ends.

Quick Reply: Front bumpers-lighten and modify-questions