Sponsored by:

Bridgestone RE050A Pole Position

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 08:55 PM
964C4
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Bridgestone RE050A Pole Position

At the Tire Rack it appears as best seller and as # 1 of the High Performance tyres

Your thoughts ?
Old 11-18-2006, 12:19 AM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Accuracy of the survey data increases with size of sample, in this case total miles. VERY small sample for the RE050A PP. That's like a couple of dozen people reporting.

Also, if you have any doubt that Tirerack survey respondents are idiots, just read the reviews. I would say that less than half of them have a remotely credible opinion.

Add to that cognitive dissonance, where people are inclined to overrate their own choices and underrate their mistakes.

All combines to some pretty weak market research. But what do I know--the tires may be terrific.
Old 11-18-2006, 03:25 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

I know they work well on STI Scoobies and Seat Leon's but they are a different ball game, would I trust the same tyre on my 964..No, I went for the S02.

Kevin
Old 11-18-2006, 04:43 AM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 9 Posts

Have just put them on my 348ts and 993. Not tracked yet, but understand that they are OEM on the Ferrari Enzo and F430 in Asia so I'm crossing my fingers that they will be OK.

I tend to like trying everything (have been throug Pilot Sports, S02s, S02As, S03s, P Zero Rossos, P Zero Corsas and the worsts of the bunch, Contis...). Will let you know how they pan out.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:21 AM
eyue
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why do I keep hearing bad commands about Conti's tire ? I do not have any experience with them, but I wouldn't mind give them a try, I had PS2 on mine right now, and SO3 before, tracked them a few times and I really like the PS2.....
Old 11-18-2006, 07:47 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In my case, the PZeros have been total cr..! When a manufacturing defect was evident, Pirelli sent me packing with one tire having 1 1/2 cm more rolling circumference than the other (brand new pair)

They will pay dearly for their cavalier treatment of a bona fide problem! If I can destroy their HP tires sales, I will do so.

Will be Bstones in the future unless I can get Dunlops
Old 11-18-2006, 09:00 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 352 Posts

There are a lot of very good tires, the differences between the best and worst are subtle and for the most part not all that important.

I had 050s on an Audi S4, they were fine tires, as are the Contis, Michelins, Pirellis and Dunlops that I have on various cars now. The thing that I have noticed is that the tires w/ silica in their compounds seem to wear better, stick better and run more quietly. Again not hugely so but there is a definite trend.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:01 AM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a set of re050A's for my 964. Stock 16" wheel size. I gave them a try because they were cheap and on closeout. My GTi has these tires and I liked how they handled. I can compare them directly to the previous set of mich pilot sports I had.

They handle differently. They do not go straight as well as my mich pilot sports did. Ont he highway I have to pay attention. Not that they are dangerous at all, its just they tend to follow the road a whole lot more. They make a lot less noise than my sports did when cornering hard. So far they are fine in the water.

I don't have a g-tach or anything, and its winter here int he mountains, so I havent pushed them as hard as I had my sports. I think, however, they have a bit more grip in turns. Definitely comparable at least. The feel is different though, so I've been slowly leaning into them to learn. They have been solid in the rain so far as well.

I don't know if these are exactly the same tires you are talking about so I'll put their part # up here from the tire rack. I'm super satisfied for the price.

055WR6RE050A
25WR6RE050A
Old 11-18-2006, 11:51 AM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Why do I keep hearing bad commands about Conti's tire ?
Read the SportContact and SportContact 2 were both pretty bland. Haven't seen much on the new SportContact 3, but I found this rating grid on the ADAC (German auto club?) site which puts them in decent company:

Quick Reply: Bridgestone RE050A Pole Position