Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looks like I'm selling the Targa... Thoughts on pricing please!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 06:14 PM
nekbet
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looks like I'm selling the Targa... Thoughts on pricing please!

My car is going to be up for sale real soon... I travel much with work and never get to drive it.. as we head into the winter I'm not thrilled about watching it sit in the garage :-(

It is a C4 Targa (yeah yeah, I know I should just drive it in the winter.. but I'm never around) w/ 125k miles. Top end rebuild, LWFW (Not sure if thats a selling point or not.. it rev's awesome compared to a normal flywheel, but is a pain in traffic), all the little things that generally break have been R&R'd (CV boots, electrical switches, shifter, seals, etc).. seats are 9/10, rest of interior is 7/10 (carpets are a bit worn).

It has 17" Cup rims, but the tires could use replacing in the next 2-4k miles probably. Rear suspension is documented as replaced, front is unknown but feels NOT like 125k miles. On that note - I have service records from 1997 and 70k-ish miles (I'm the 3rd owner) totaling $14k (ouch!).

All normal maintenance is and has been kept up - just went thru a $1k value, oil, and misc job...

So.... What should I ask for it? AutoTrader shows 1990 C4's anywhere $17k-22k with over 100k miles... Hard to find a C4 Targa for comparison - is there a price premium on them now?

Thanks for any advice you recent buyers/sellers can provide... I hate to part with the car, and will probably end up with a Cayenne to pair with my Jeep as daily drivers.. :-)

Cheers,

Mike

1990 964 C4 Targa
Old 11-15-2006, 09:24 PM
mada1
Racer

Thats a bummer, I have liked your car since I first saw the pix. Are those stock wheels they look polished? Well it is a beautiful car and should sell no problem. I had an offer on my '90 C2 Targa with 82K miles for 23K about a month ago.... and wouldn't sell it. Can you wait till summer or does it not matter where you live?
Good luck.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:09 PM
CHASE
Instructor

I find peace with my shiny car in the garage during the winter.
You can take a month to get a project finished and still have 90 days before the weather clears up.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:12 AM
N51
Rennlist Member

I've been looking since the first of the year, and must say prices are up and down the board on targas. While some express dislike for them, those who feel otherwise are passionate and aggressive in the market. Nice examples do not last long.

You've checked the market listings and will have to decide where to start. The higher mileage will bring out those looking for a bargain Porsche.

As an example of my search, two cars, both 90's. One C2 with 60k @$22k
and another C4 with 41k @$18k. The latter one, if not for color, I'd almost buy sight unseen.

Noah

PS: I've always liked your avatar

Last edited by N51; 11-16-2006 at 12:31 AM.

Quick Reply: Looks like I'm selling the Targa... Thoughts on pricing please!