Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I may have a broken Dist Belt... Questions (UPDATE III)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 11:01 PM
greenjt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Indycam
So how many beers did I earn ?
Here's a six pack, but of course i had one to be social...

Indy, do you really think the only problem was crossed coil wires? Seems crazy it would have taken so long to manifest itself into a problem and then come on so quick and dramatic. I am toying with the idea of driving it to the office tomorrow but might chicken out.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:25 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yah well thats all fine and good in practice
but it will never work in theory .

Don't test it by using it for something like getting to work .
Drive it when it doesn't matter .

"Indy, do you really think the only problem was crossed coil wires?"
I am a million miles away from your car , I can't see feel touch , but
I can ask questions till the cow comes home .
If the cars happy with the wires one way and not the other , so am I .

What do you do that takes you to London ?
I think I'm envious .
Old 12-11-2006, 02:11 PM
greenjt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a million miles away from your car , I can't see feel touch , but I can ask questions till the cow comes home .
It's really only about 2,811 miles. Come on over, fiddle with the car and have a beer! Or maybe let my buy you a real one next time I'm in the Bay Area.

What do you do that takes you to London ?
I work for a drug dealer - I negotiate and structure a wide variety of transactions for a large pharmaceutical company.

Old 12-11-2006, 02:48 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I knew a guy in hawaii that did some thing like that .
He was allways off to some place cool .
Old 06-04-2023, 04:42 PM
me61ic
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by greenjt

Indy, do you really think the only problem was crossed coil wires? Seems crazy it would have taken so long to manifest itself into a problem and then come on so quick and dramatic.
Sorry to bring such an old thread back, but I was having in my 964 C2 the exact same situation as greenjt had in his car. All this happened after replacing the distribuitor belt, the car run fine but I was noticing some hesitation after coming to a stop, and kind of a step when revving above 5k, 5.5k…

I could also hear a ticking noise from the distribuitor then found the king connection on the upper primary distribuitor cap had melted to the point of detachment. See this video and pics:

So I replaced the failed cap with a new one, and after replacing I had the same problems as greenjt had long time ago, the car started well with the new cap but after 5 mins running in traffic I experienced intermittent hesitation, CEL light ON (in fact all lights in the cluster ON) car spitting and trying to stall at iddle.

So I came across this thread and followed the thread until the end. Went down to the garage to cross the cables at coils and the car runs fine. But I am pretty sure the cables were right as in both ends there is one longer cable to reach the farthest coil (the one closer to the front of the car) and the farthest distribuitor (the one closer to the rear of the car) See pics again:

I have not had the time to try the car out in the road, but I am guessing what I have is a bad coil (which I think is the closest to the rear of the car) and crossing the wires at the coils have made the good coil run the primary distribuitor hence having a perfectly running car at idle but my guess is that the car will loose power when revving up and having the secondary distribuitor do his job… At least that is my guess.

By the way I still have the ticking noise at the distribuitors
Old 06-05-2023, 09:40 PM
spartansix
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 223 Posts

When I had a ticking noise from my distributor, I replaced my caps and rotors and the noise went away.
Old 06-06-2023, 11:37 AM
me61ic
Instructor

Originally Posted by me61ic
I have not had the time to try the car out in the road, but I am guessing what I have is a bad coil (which I think is the closest to the rear of the car) and crossing the wires at the coils have made the good coil run the primary distribuitor hence having a perfectly running car at idle but my guess is that the car will loose power when revving up and having the secondary distribuitor do his job… At least that is my guess.

By the way I still have the ticking noise at the distribuitors
Found the time to try the car out today with the coil to distribuitor cables crossed and the car felt great at idle and in the road, only when I pushed it up the higher revs I got the ! CEL light on, when I was back in the garage I looked at it with the computer and I got error 34-Hall Signal

Guess I will start replacing the "thought to be" offending coil. In fact I started to look for a new one and I can only find silver ones, not black, and looking in other threads here some people say the silver are not as good as the black ones used to be...
Old 06-06-2023, 12:13 PM
s65e90
Drifting

Received 725 Likes on 503 Posts

May be an obvious, but when you did the belt, did you phase both distributors together?
Old 06-06-2023, 02:21 PM
me61ic
Instructor

Originally Posted by s65e90
May be an obvious, but when you did the belt, did you phase both distributors together?
Yes, of course
Old 02-18-2024, 05:13 AM
me61ic
Instructor

Ok, I am writing this in order to help others that might be having the same problem. I finally solved it but was not what I was thinking.

After replacing the coils for new ones the car was performing the same way, the problem was that sometimes it was running good and sometimes was running like ****, a lot of hesitation, christmas tree effect in the dashboard (all lights blinking), and car smoking and stopping itself, it was impossible to drive.

also tried changing all the distribuitor cables and coil cables with new ones, same affect, new spark plugs, the same.

Then I remembered all this started to happen after putting the engine down to replace injectors and fuel pressure regulator. So I moved the cables that run to the coils from the management and voila, I was able to make the car run fine or bad by moving those cables.

Had to put the engine down to find which was the offending cable with a tester, but one of these cables was peeled and was the one causing all the problems. After replacing with a new cable car runs great as before, and that was that…

In case it might help others with the same problem.

The following 2 users liked this post by me61ic:
John McM (02-18-2024), kylejohnston1 (02-19-2024)

Quick Reply: I may have a broken Dist Belt... Questions (UPDATE III)