Sponsored by:

Hot all the time

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 03:25 AM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hot all the time

My car has objected to me waking it up at 5am on a freezing morning by trying to melt me.

Monday started it to go to work. turned heater up full and its stayed that way.

I even with fan turned off and heat turned to blue on controller I get full heat and very fast air being pummped through.

I assume the air is comming from the rear blower.

Any ideas where to start? just looked at adrians book and there is a flap at the back does anybody have a picture of where this is located.

Thanks.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:37 AM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

I have just found in Adrians book a test for the front 2 mixing servos's.

Not sure if this si where the fault lies because of teh amount of air blowing through from the rear
Old 11-07-2006, 11:14 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Pesty
Any ideas where to start?
The front temperature mixing chamber servos., #2 and #4. You can find more instructions HERE.

just looked at adrians book and there is a flap at the back does anybody have a picture of where this is located.
They won't be your problem but...

The outlet

The flap

Old 11-08-2006, 01:07 AM
deep_uv
RIP

Pesty, Check your heater duct tubes behind the left and right kick panels as well. Mine were old and had holes in them which allowed the flapper valves to remain open regardless of the mixing servo settings and allowed the hot air blown through the heat exchangers to enter the cabin. Replacing these fixed my problem. Only $20 U.S. per tube. If your heat comes through the vents then this is probably not your problem. Good luck.

Steve

Edit: Here's my before and after pics of the left side heater tube.
Attached Images   

Last edited by deep_uv; 11-08-2006 at 01:08 AM. Reason: Adding pics.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:29 AM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys will check the servos and pipes for holes this weekend.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:50 AM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

OK seems to be a success but not sure about a few things.

Tested servo's, Left one looking from front not moving. removed lever for flap still wont move. took out of car and applied 12v to 4+5 wont move.

Stripped apart and removed black crud from fingers. re assembled and tested it now moves ! yay.

fitted back in car no air blowing valve moves. So now I will not have to have window open on teh way to work at 5am

Now heres the observation I was not happy about. When the valve moves to its extreme possision it flexes the motor assembley its as if the motor is turning the lever too far. Thinking about it. I wonder if the arm that attaches to the rod moved a little when I assembled it all back together. I should have marked its exact possition beofre I dissasembled maybe?

The other thing is the rear blower is on full all the time and stays on for around 10 minutes. Just starting the engine turns it on full and it satays on even when I turn it off straight away. It was coming on at 5am at temperatures of around 1 degree celcious as soon as I started the engine. I assume there is something wrong there?

Last edited by Pesty; 11-12-2006 at 09:28 AM.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:24 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Now heres the observation I was not happy about. When the valve moves to its extreme possision it flexes the motor assembley its as if the motor is turning the lever too far. Thinking about it. I wonder if the arm that attaches to the rod moved a little when I assembled it all back together. I should have marked its exact possition beofre I dissasembled maybe?
Disconnect the arm from the servo and apply 12 volts (a 9 volt battery works fine) to pin 4 (positive) and pin 5 (negative) until the motor no longer turns (full cold position). Turn the **** on the CCU to full cold (blue dot) and then reconnect the ball socket onto the servo motor with the temperature mixing chamber door in the down posiition (full cold). If that doesn't solve your problem then you most likely have a damaged PCB on the servo.

Quick Reply: Hot all the time