Brake Pads...technical

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 12:35 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 566 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
That's a good point, Bill. I find that the RS-19s are not too "grippy" for Hoosiers, and yet still have plenty of friction for slicks.
I agree the RS19s are the best race pads I have ever found because they are not so biased to track that they can't be used on the street(w/ a little squeel)

I have 3 sets of pads(orange, Black and yellow) but never bother to swap out the yellows.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:22 PM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rob,

I have a set of EBC redstuff ceramic in the fronts now. to keep it short I am not too impressed. Lost initial bite and feel over the pads I removed which is funny because they are marketed as not needing warming up like other "high performance" pads they have never overheated though but I just dont have the confidence in them to push hard. will not refit when I replace my calipers

Yellowstuff may be different.

I tried green stuff in my scooby and they were dire ( i did drive that car a lot harder than this one)although they have changed the compound for Greenstuff since due to critisism not doubt.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:43 PM
Sal 965
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by robmug
Which ones do you have Steve? Green, Red or Yellow?
Rob,

Like Phil (Pesty) I've got EBC redstuff ceramics but all round. In my experience they like a bit of warming but really only to stop the very embarassing squealing.

As you could guess I have given the brakes some serious tests over the past couple of years especially when rallying in Europe from some high speeds but i have high confidence on the performance and also that there is no fade. Confidence is worth a big % to me at high speed!

I'm not sure on others experience but there is quite a bit of dust but i have put this down to the drilled discs which must contribute to the wear and also the wheel design on the 3.6T which shows dust against the polished outer rim.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:13 PM
SimonExtreme
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My favorite topic!! I have tried lots of pads on lots of cars and it amazes me how people recommend pads when they have tried so few.

I currently run RS15's on my 964RS, on street tyres and on "special" sticky road tyres. I have done so for the last 10,000 miles using the car regularly as well as a few trackdays and trial events. Put simply, they are in a different league than any other pad I have tried other than DS3000, which are even better cold but are far too noisy.

I have not had problems with disks at all. Having said that, the car is due for a service and then we can check thickness but last service, after about 6,000 miles of use, there was nothing unusual about disk wear. As the chart shows, they are really good from cold and they are also very consistant.

So, what is the downside? Well, some might find that they get a little noisy when warm, but not always. Strange thing is, on longer road journies they can squeal but they don't tend to on the track. The other issue is modulation and there is no doubt that you need to be far more refined in your braking to get the best out of them. If you are heavy footed, then they would seem very binary - on or off! However, with a little finness, I think they are absolutely fine. Having said that, I have been using race pads on road cars for many years and therefore might have adopted a driving style to suit. It might not be everybodies cup of tea.

I have also experienced the RS15's on other cars. My brother races a Caterham and we put some on his car after telemetry showed he was losing time in braking to his closest competitors. The change in pad alone meant that first time out, he was ahead of his rivals in this area (very friendly class - most share data!) My bro hasn't had issues of disk wear so that would back my arguement that it isn't really an issue

Quick Reply: Brake Pads...technical