Sponsored by:

Have I just overfilled??

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 03:58 AM
kusee pee
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have I just overfilled??

A very embarrassing problem has appeared and I hope it is just down to my stupidity. I think I may have overfilled with oil after a guesstimate addition at the weekend. Since then my symptoms are thus:

Car runs fine but when I make a hard right turn (sharp roundabout or a t-junction) and then accelerate the car leaves a huge cloud of smoke for the next half-mile, scaring children and causing a local solar-eclipse. Then all is fine again.

What have I done??
Old 11-01-2006, 04:13 AM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Sounds like it.

What does the dipstick and gauge say?
Old 11-01-2006, 04:23 AM
kusee pee
Burning Brakes

Haven't checked dipstick yet (LAZY BUGGER!) and the gauge shows plenty in there at the moment - which I expect to quickly go down as I continue to send smoke-signals to the world...
Old 11-01-2006, 04:39 AM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the gauge is pegged to the top of the scale when the engine is idling you probably have overfilled it. If you add oil while the engine is ticking over, keep an eye on the gauge through the back window and stop when the gauge shows at 9 o'clock or a little over and you'll avoid the problem you now have.

You also run the risk of contaminating the air flow device in the inlet manifold since excess oil will get vented to the inlet. If the overfill is just a little it will probably be OK but I've never seen plumes of smoke on a small overfill.

Regards

Dave
Old 11-01-2006, 04:40 AM
Superunknown
Racer

I did the same a while back, took me weeks to burn the excess off!!
Old 11-01-2006, 05:46 AM
kusee pee
Burning Brakes

Cheers guys - this also makes me realise why I had to have a new air-flow meter a while back (yes, I have done this before...!). Nothing like not learning from your own mistakes. Self-inflicted wounds are always the most amusing...!
Old 11-01-2006, 08:48 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's easy to take your intake off to clean... I just did it a few weeks back. A 4 - 5 hour job if you take your time... There's a write-up in the DIY section.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:07 PM
colo964
Advanced

Your's is not as bad as mine - I had to run it for about 10 miles before it cleaned up. I found a thorough cleaning is not necessary, since my breather hose seems to bring some oil into the system no matter what. I only took off the right side of the intake and pour out most of the oil or sop it up - a 1/2 hr job. Every time I've opened it, it had oil, but no smoke so I figure I saved 3.5 hrs.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:14 PM
kusee pee
Burning Brakes

colo964 - how did you do this? Can you give any simple instructions as to how to take off the side of the intake? Cheers.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:27 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

The right side is easy to take off. Just take off your air cleaner, unbolt the metal cable holder, back off the screws holding the intake to the AFM and the three intake tubes and then wiggle free. Check out the intake cleaning procedure in the DIY section. Just remember to click the drop down box and select "from the beginning"... Otherwise you won't see any DIY procedures since none have been added within the last 75 days.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:11 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Smokin
... Otherwise you won't see any DIY procedures since none have been added within the last 75 days.
We are all too busy driving to write DIY's.

Marc
Old 11-01-2006, 11:23 PM
aeroman
Man of Way Too Many Avatars
Rennlist Member

John Walker of Seattle told me overfilling is not bad in a 964 and will do no damage like in the older cars. When I drove mine back from Cali I thought I had done that and called him to see what I should do. He said if you do just let it burn itself out. major smoke clouds. If he says it is okay then I am sure it is.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:03 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by aeroman
John Walker of Seattle told me overfilling is not bad in a 964 and will do no damage like in the older cars. When I drove mine back from Cali I thought I had done that and called him to see what I should do. He said if you do just let it burn itself out. major smoke clouds. If he says it is okay then I am sure it is.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:33 AM
aeroman
Man of Way Too Many Avatars
Rennlist Member

Thats what John Walker who is one of the best Porsche mechanics in this area said. I can't remember exactly what he said is different but that it was bad on older models but not on 964. Just big smoke.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:00 AM
BongoBradley
Advanced

It seems like a rite of passage - I freaked because I thought I overfilled mine too a few months back - but I hadn't quite really over filled it... maybe just to 10:30 or 11:00 The guys at Gerber motorsports in Seattle told me if it's pegged on the gauge - they have a good laugh and would recommend draining a bit. John Walker sent me to Gerber because he was too busy last time I called!

Aeroman - where are you in the area? cheers, Brad

Quick Reply: Have I just overfilled??