Sponsored by:

UK law on child passengers..

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 05:51 AM
The Russian
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UK law on child passengers..

Now in the UK all children till the age of 12 must sit in a car seat in the rear. Does this law apply to children in the back seat of our 964s? My daughter is 7, she cant sit in the front now and the Porsche car seat is to small for her. Any thoughts?
Old 10-29-2006, 06:07 AM
rotorheadcase
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

The rear seats are small enough as it is and with a chid seat until age 12 would be ridiculous. My son at age 12 was taller than my wife so it would appear a somewhat absurd and beaurocratic regulation. Surely a restriction on height would be more appropriate and I believe IF you were ever required to defend it in Court they would have a hard time convincing a Judge that stuffing a 12 year old into the rear of a 964 was a safer option to havng them restrained in the front seat. Fortunately Australia has been a little more far-sighted in most of it's road regulations.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:10 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Here is the new law explained.
www.childcarseats.org.uk/law/index.htm
Ciao,
Adrian.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:23 AM
The Russian
Instructor

Tks, looks like the rear seatbelt will be good enough. Great, one Porsche Princes car seat will be on Ebay very soon!
Old 10-29-2006, 07:51 AM
IanR
Racer

As I understand it, if they're under 135cm tall they must use a child seat of some kind, even in the back of a 964, unless the back seats are certified as child seats. I've got the same problem with my 5 year old - the Porsche Prince is now too small, so been hunting around for an alternative that actually fits.

Posche do do a seat that fits (the Kid) but they want about GBP200! However, this seems to be a re-badged Britax Kid which is re-sold by some other car makers under their own badge, including Ford for GBP80. I just need to try one to confirm it is the same seat, but looks like the route I will go (even if it means having a Ford badge in the car!!)
Old 10-30-2006, 12:54 AM
IAN C2
Banned

i thought booster seats were ok ??
but i also thought it was all about smaller children slipping through the shoulder section of a 3point , so you raise them up so they cannot fall out .
and lap belts are ok without a booster ???
Old 10-30-2006, 02:38 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you ever get stopped, you could just tell the policeman that the rear seats are child seats. If he disagrees, tell him to try sitting in the back seats while you drive round the block - bet he'll agree with you then!
Old 10-30-2006, 03:39 AM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DaveK
If you ever get stopped, you could just tell the policeman that the rear seats are child seats. If he disagrees, tell him to try sitting in the back seats while you drive round the block - bet he'll agree with you then!
This is my plan. When I use boosters in the big Merc it's so the shoulder harness will be below the neck and across the shoulder. The possitioning of the belt on my smallest (age 4 but only 2" shorter than his 7 year old sister) is perfect. If I place one in the front seat (airbags in the 964 are dead) I use a booster or kiddie seat. But in the back.. that would actually be less safe IMHO.

Let the cop write me up, and I'll call my traffic lawyer for the first one and use the info there to fight the rest. Hopefuly it's neve ran issue though.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:17 AM
DJS
Advanced

No need to go for the expensive Porsche seats.
Approx two weeks ago I bought a pair of child seats from my local Halfords that were almost a perfect fit - front and rear.
Can't remember the make/model of them but will have a look tonight and post the details tomm.
They are a two part seat as the seat upright detaches so they can be used as a booster or a complete unit and either option fits both front and rear on my '91 C4. I have the sports seat option in the front.
And the best news? They were £49.00 each!!
Old 10-30-2006, 10:06 AM
Seight
Instructor

Hi DJS,

yes I'd like to know the make of those seats from Halfords......

Cheers
Alex
Old 10-30-2006, 04:08 PM
DJS
Advanced

Hi Alex,

Seats are manufactured by "Maxi Cosi" and the model is "Rodi".

My wife has just reminded me that they were on special offer when we bought them - RRP was c£99 as I recall.

Hope this is of some use.

Regards,
David
Old 10-31-2006, 05:28 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I have a very good Maxi Cosi in my wife's car; I can vouch for how good they are as my wife and then ten month old baby survived an off road excursion into a lampost at about 70mph.... I'll check out the Rodi as I'm going to need something bigger in a few years.

Cheers,

David

Quick Reply: UK law on child passengers..