I'm looking at this car.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...4631960&rd=1,1

Is it priced right?

thanks
Old 10-28-2006, 01:45 AM
Jim Howley
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$1500 for air ducts? Even if they're connected up to the wheel wells thats taking the p***!
Old 10-28-2006, 03:38 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eh? When I follow the link it's to a (very nice) looking 3.8L black '89 C4. Don't know enough about USA prices to know if it's well priced though.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:51 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

The car is above market even if everything checks out. If you start to find problems, it is wise to run away.

If you are planning to spend serious money on modifications, AND those mods are what you want, AND they were performed to a good standard, AND everything checks out, you might be able to justify the price. If you are looking for a nice 964, there are newer and better examples for considerably less money.

I am a little suspicious of the paint - it looks too good and is probably a respray. Fresh paint suggests corrosion repairs or collision repair. Undocumented collision history is scary because the fresh paint can cover improper repair work. Check all the panel fits, door/glass fits, and look at the belly pan for any distortion. Be sure to get an alignment shop to verify the corner height, shoot a 4-wheel alignment and check all the suspension mounts.

It would be good news for all 964 owners if he gets his price.
Old 10-28-2006, 12:05 PM
pcarcraig
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This car was for sale at http://chicago-motor-cars.ebizautos.com/ earlier this year when I was looking. The ad can be seen in The Mart section of the May 06 Chicago region pca magazine "Chicago Scene" http://www.pca-chicago.org/scene/SceneMay06.pdf. Note that the pictures in the ebay auction are from the Chicago Motorcars ad. Unless this is exactly what you are looking for, and you can verify the quality of the workmanship, the price is high.
Old 10-28-2006, 12:16 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks nice, but I agree on the paint. No chips or anything? Every car gets some chips when there's 94K on the odo.
Old 10-28-2006, 12:28 PM
MrDigitaL
Intermediate

Wow....thanks for all the help. I'm going to do a little research on this car now.
It is pretty close to what i am looking for. The only problem with the car now is the a/c.
The seller said it has never been in a accident. I think imagine auto has worked on the car.
This is going to be my first 911. I had a boxster 2 years ago and traded it in on a jeep...(what was i thinking)..now i need to get back into a porsche..If any one knows of a great car for sale please let me know.
Thanks
Old 10-28-2006, 12:53 PM
911URGE
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 56 Posts

Even adding a 10-15% premium for the modifications and condition it sounds a bit high in price.
Old 10-28-2006, 03:00 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats just an asking price , if you offer them less ......

My brother had a 57 356 , it had been painted many times .
I uncovered the riveted on plate on the door jam by digging .
The car had been just about every color at some point .
red , yellow , blue , green , etc
It must have been painted once every few years .
Musta had a few hundred pounds of paint on it .
A respray isn't allways a bad thing , auto paint is said to last about 7 years before it needs redoing to protect the metal under it .
Old 10-28-2006, 10:10 PM
MrDigitaL
Intermediate

What would be a good price for this car?
I am really interested in the car.
Some great advise would be appreciated.
Thanks for all your help.
This site is great
Old 10-29-2006, 09:38 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Go to KBB.com and run the wholesale (trade-in), private party and retail prices. Obviously the pricing services don't address highly modified cars, but that is your baseline. If the mods are done poorly, subtract from the book values. If they are done well, and are what you really want, you can start to add to the price. Don't expect to get much for the modifications on resale.

I think you will see an 89 with 92,000 miles and in excellent condition is worth perhaps $16,000. Market price for the modifications depends on what you are willing to give. You need to drive the car and have it inspected before you can make that determination. Just remember if you get in a financial pinch and need to sell the car, the dealer will offer you "trade-in" from the blue book.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:23 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it's priced a little high personally. I think an offer of $25k would/should take it if it all checks out. It has a lot of mods to it. A 3.8 engine??? Then I'd have to ask why... Was the car tracked? Is the new spray job hiding damage?

I think there are better deals to be had unless you were specifically looking for these mods and were willing to pay to have them added.

Jim... When I was pircing air ducts I ran across some VERY expensive ones. If these actually do cool and were installed correctly I could see why he paid this much. I want to exentually get the kind Marc Shaw has on his... With the fog lights...

Just my .02
Old 10-29-2006, 01:31 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

This thread is the consensus of price. I would not use KBB, it works well for newer cars, but does not take into consideration these older cars properly IMHO.

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/246996-964-prices.html
Old 10-30-2006, 10:32 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

I would really check into the work done on the engine. Make sure it's from a reputable shop that others you know of have used and trust. 3.8 conversions are expensive but if it was done poorly who knows what it would cost to correct. And as above, no stone chips after 94K? Unless it's had a clear bra all it's life then there's no way it could be chip-free.

c
Old 10-30-2006, 09:51 PM
MrDigitaL
Intermediate

Thanks for all the help.
The front was resprayed when they painted the wing.
There has been no damage to the car.
Everyone still thinks it's a little over priced.
I need to go look at the car before i buy it.

Quick Reply: Need some help