Sponsored by:

3.2 or 964

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 02:32 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steve Viegas
It appears as though I offended some people on this board. That was not my intent. My comment regarding the 'love' of a 964 really was reflecting on the resale value of the car. I had tried to allude to possibly upgrading the 3.2 to a 964 later, either that did not come across, or people were just bent because I decided to get the 3.2.

All things being even, I totally agree that the 964 is a superior car, but not all things are equal. That is why I came here. I WANT a coupe, but I could be happy with a Targa. I WANT all the performance I can get, but I will be happy with the performance I end up with...life is about compromise, at least for me.

Steve
Actually - I wasn't offended (especially since I recommended you choose the 3.2!). Even so long after it was new, the 964 does still get negative press. I don't really think it's justified - but then I've never had another 911 to compare it to.

What I would say is : don't compromise too much. I am looking at other 911s at the moment, and at least around here I can choose coupe or targa. If you want coupe I see no reason to buy a targa.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:05 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

13K !! Wow... makes me wonder if I should buy one just to leave it around for parts... 13K!! Just for the tranny and engine parts alone is worth it... I want to keep mine for a long long time and knowing how Porsche increases the old parts prices makes me consider this as an alternative...

Anyway, back to your thread. For what you want and need at the moment, between the two cars the 3.2 is the clear choice... you should be able to use it without having to worried too much about something else needing attention. That peace of mind is always good. If the comparison had been between a sorted 3.2 and a sorted 964 I think most of the folks here would have suggested the 964. It is a great car.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:06 PM
JJJMCD
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Given that pricing seems very important to you, you should buy the sorted but very high mileage 3.2 for $13K rather than the "so cheap you're practically stealing it" 964, as the latter is likely to cost you some real money to fix that oil leak along with its other undisclosed problems (the dealer is dumping the 964 at $5-6k less than market value for a reason).

Keep in mind, however, that if you're thinking about resale/trading up, don't buy a car with 168k miles. If you put just 30k on it, you'll have a 911 with 200k miles, which is probably as close to resale-proof as you can get.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:45 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It appears as though I offended some people on this board. That was not my intent.
Perhaps it was the below choice of wording...
The 964 is not a well loved 911.
You are, after all, in a 964 specific forum.

Quick Reply: 3.2 or 964