Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wet rear floorboards

Old 10-20-2006, 01:07 PM
KenGunnells
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wet rear floorboards

For all you cabriolet folks, is your rear floorboard area wet? I had water problems in rear floorboards of the '89 Carrera I just sold. I thought it was because of a problem with the top I had installed. The new '92 has a new top in great shape. I replaced the windshield top seal and the seals around the doors a couple of weeks ago. Yesterday I noticed water in the rear floorboards.

Does anyone have insights about where this water is coming from? Is this a common problem for cabs in this age range? Does anyone know how to stop it?

Any help will be appreciated.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:46 PM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

My coupe had wet carpets, it was the rubber seal around the rear quarter lights. Not apt for your car, but garage said it's 99% always via the seals and not through the floor. Good luck in your investigations.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:05 PM
KenGunnells
Track Day

Default Well...

Maybe it was water from before I replaced the seals. Hard to say.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:06 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

I know how annoying wet floors can be. Last year, my cab was getting water inside the car. It turned out to be three sources.

1) The rubber seal around the windshield was leaking. I had the seal replaced by the local P-car dealer.

2) The rubber seals around the door windows were failing and letting water in. I replaced these seals myself.

3) The water drains in air plenum in the front trunk were clogged. Fortunately, it was an easy fix. See https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...light=feet+wet

One last thought, when was the last time you applied the Porsche Cabriolet Protectant spray? I put two cans on the roof just to be certain that I wasn't getting water seeping through the canvas.

Another thought is that it takes a very long time for the carpet and sound insulation to dry. I pulled my floor mats out and put them in the house for a week to dry. In parallel, I put a small heat lamp in the car aimed at the web spots and let it "cook". Eventually, I was able to get the floor dry.

I hope this helps.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:03 AM
Lew964
Advanced

My cab is the same with wet rear floorboards, but i have never found where it could be coming from.
Like you i am interested if anyone has cured this problem.
If the windshield was leaking wouldn't the front floorboards get wet?
Old 10-23-2006, 10:31 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

In my case, the rear carpets would always show the wetness first. My theory is that the water from the windshield would seep down on the floor and puddle in the rear because that is the natural low point.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:47 PM
KenGunnells
Track Day

I think I'll try drying the rear area with some desiccant material and a towel. It's not enough water to get the rear carpet wet. (the car was ordered with "rear seat delete" and has storage compartments instead of rear seats). The water was soaked up by the sound deadening material on the floor. The front floorboard area appears dry. I suppose it could be coming from the the windshield.

I'm most concerned by the water because I'm wanting to put an amp in the rear floorboard. Water there would not be good.

Ken
'92C2 Cab
Previous: '89 Carrera Cab, '88 M3
Old 10-24-2006, 12:42 AM
kristianw
Instructor

I had this problem a couple months ago and just sprayed some undercoat i got at a local hardware store under the car in the spot that was leaking and the problem was solved.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wet rear floorboards