Sponsored by:

LEATHER AIR BAG SEAM/STITCHING

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 09:54 PM
2Brak
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LEATHER AIR BAG SEAM/STITCHING

Hello all, I have searched under air bag, deployment, stiching etc but no results.

I am gettng my steering wheel re-covered in cashmere/beige along with the air bag. Does anyone know if the air bag were to be deployed where or how the air bag splits open? or do any of you have any photos of a TechArt 964 leather interior with the 4 spoke steering wheel? I just want to make sure the guy doing the work puts the seams and stitching in the corrct location. I am sure he knows what he is doing but I'd feel better asking here as well. Maybe it won't matter because the amount of force would rip open the seam anyway? Like the 3 spoke 993 steering wheel the stitching is triangular but the stock air big cover has a line down the center.

One other option I thought about is just doing the outer portion in leather but then leave the air bag alone and dying it with Leatherique, SEM, or ColorGlo. I'd prefer doing it in leather though.

As always, I appreciate your expertise and advice.
Dan
Old 09-30-2006, 05:04 AM
Devils_son
Instructor

Originally Posted by 2Brak
Hello all, I have searched under air bag, deployment, stiching etc but no results.

I am gettng my steering wheel re-covered in cashmere/beige along with the air bag. Does anyone know if the air bag were to be deployed where or how the air bag splits open?
Since I've been doing research on this subject this week I have learned that not every airbagcover will split. However, the 964 wheel looks like it is meant to split open along the horizontal lines on the cover. It is quite common for airbagcovers to split along the logo (Audi is apparantly a good example).

Maybe it won't matter because the amount of force would rip open the seam anyway?
Of course it will matter. You are influencing the forces and this is potentially dangerous.

Like the 3 spoke 993 steering wheel the stitching is triangular but the stock air big cover has a line down the center.
From the looks of it, the 3 spoke 993 steering wheel airbag cover will not split. It is more likely that it will break on the sides and top and will be hanging on the bottom spoke after the airbag is deployed.

One other option I thought about is just doing the outer portion in leather but then leave the air bag alone and dying it with Leatherique, SEM, or ColorGlo. I'd prefer doing it in leather though.
As far as I know, thechart is selling the leather airbagcovers for the 964 seperate. Why not ask them?
Old 10-02-2006, 12:39 PM
2Brak
Advanced

I called CEC which handlesTechArt in the US and they no longer make the leather air bags for the 4 spoke steering wheel. I probably contact TechArt DE and find out where they used to put the stiching/seam.

Quick Reply: LEATHER AIR BAG SEAM/STITCHING