Sponsored by:

993 Heat Exchangers on 964

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 10:38 PM
Colin 90 C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Simon, my dyno numbers are from using stock 964 exchangers with a cat bypass and different primary muffler. I just converted to the 993 exchangers but have not had the system fully together yet.

My reason for changing was based on other changes. Unfortunately I will not have a even playing field on which to compare the two systems.

BTW, I think that 254 rear wheel Hp is great for a stock engine with around 150,000 miles on the odo. With an estimated 15% drivetrain loss, that looks to be around 300 flywheel hp. Unfortunately I am a power ***** and always need more.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:57 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Colin -
Being a power ***** also I was just wondering what you have doen to your engine - looking at the footnotes - I can see that we have done a lot of the same changes, muffelr, drilled air box, K&N, chipped, cat bypass, - I have not made the move to a Lwt flywheel (LWFW) -
How do you like the LWFW - which system did you go with and did you have a rough idle?
I have added a ProMax MAF - but am not real happy witht the chip performance right now - I am gettiing ready to install a modified 993 exhaust system ( 993 custom headers and muffler) then am going to try and get a chip re-programsed to match the engine. How do you like the Cyntex chip?
Old 10-03-2006, 09:56 AM
Colin 90 C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gus,
The LWT flywheel is nice but I don't think that it may be the best mod for street driving. You will constantly have to match revs. I used the RS flywheel. I have had no issue with stalling.

I am slowly working on converting to a MAF system, buy may go with a MAP sensor. I keep changing my mind. The Cyntex chip was made to go with the cat bypass and LWT Flywheel. It has made the engine more responsive in the mid range and maybe added a couple HP on the top end. It has really smoothed out the resonance flap transistion. I have compared the stock chip and the Cyntex chip back and forth and prefer the Cyntex. Paul @ Cyntex can program a chip to match your mods.

I think you will get a good amount of power from a change to a 993 HE's and custom exhaust.
Let us know how you make out.
Colin
Old 10-03-2006, 10:24 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 383 Posts

Why not emulate the factory 964 l/w

Old 10-03-2006, 10:31 AM
SimonExtreme
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like we need a new sub section - "The Power ******" aznd I would like my application considered.

Car is a 964RS (ROW) with LWF, hot film, modified throttle body, decat, cup pipe, drilled airbox and an AMD programmed chip. Depending on whose rolling road, it makes at least 300bhp with a nice shaped curve. This is run on (UK) 98 RON fuel. The engine itself might have covered 60k miles but it si very strong ( worst leak test 4%) and I have only seen one other 964RS with standard injectors and DME make as much power,

However, what realy qualifies me as a "Power *****" is that I don't feel I have enough power. I want more so it will be Motec etc. I fancy Colin's 340bhp conversion, the only problem being getting it sorted before going to Oz and finding the money for that and to get the "plyers" dent out of the car and the paintwork back to where it should be.

SHOW ME THE POWER!!!

Quick Reply: 993 Heat Exchangers on 964