Sponsored by:

High Temp

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 03:25 PM
69COU
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Temp

Where is the therm on these cars as mine seem to run between 2nd and 3rd marks on motorways but is quick up between 3rd and 4th( red) in any heavy traffic?

Are the therms serviceable items and what is part number if replacement is needed?

Have checked the oil cooler fan which is working.

Any thoughts or pictures of what i should be checking next?

Thanks
Old 09-22-2006, 03:47 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Where is the therm on these cars"
Its behind the "shark fin" on the right side .

"Are the therms serviceable items"
Yes .

"Any thoughts or pictures of what i should be checking next?"
How clean is the outside of the oil cooler ?
If its covered with dirt or a plastic bag or anything like that , it does not get the airflow .....

Does the fender over the oil cooler get hot ?
If not the hot oil is not getting to the cooler .
Old 09-22-2006, 04:46 PM
Michael Delaney
Racer

Do you mean you have tested the cooler fan by shorting across pins, or that you know the fan is working by listening/feeling when the car is actually running? Are you aware that the fan has a high and low speed. When the temp gets higher that fan switches to high speed. Checking the cooling fins for dirt debris is certainly an good idea.
Old 09-22-2006, 05:53 PM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're between the 2nd and 3rd on the freeway and the 3rd and the 4th in stop-and-go, that's normal, unless you're counting the two ticks at the bottom as one. Then you're way too hot and I'd bet on the thermostat not opening.
Attached Images  
Old 09-22-2006, 10:38 PM
eddychan
Racer

You should not be in red, I had the same problem a while ago, search this site and also Adrain's book and you will find that there is a two stage resistor which controls the speed of the blower fan. It is very likely that the fan was running on low speed all the time.

1. Check the oil temp sender ( behind the RHS mudguard, on top of the oil cooler- Part#96462411000) which sends out the oil temp signal to the ECU.
2. Check the two stage resistor or ballast resistor ( behind the oil cooler Part#99361652101), which I think is the most likely cultpit.

And of course there is a very light posibilty due to your daft Climate control unit which is reading/receiving a higher temp value as it should be. That would be a lot more expensive to replace.

Good luck!

Eddy
Old 09-23-2006, 01:06 AM
Oscar
Instructor

My needle hovers around 9'oclock on the track and between 9 and 10 on hot summer days. How much cooler would a secondary oil cooler make and would I see any performance boost?
Old 09-24-2006, 12:59 AM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is one other possibility. My brother-in-law races an RS America and had noticed very high oil temps on the track and none of the obvious things were causing it. It turned out to be a pinched oil line that was restricting flow and it wasn't something that was easy to spot either.

Quick Reply: High Temp