Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found local 18" wheels, but will they fit!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 08:03 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found local 18" wheels, but will they fit!?

I found a set of 18" Porsche wheels that I'm just dying to have..BUT.. I'm worried the rear is too wide for my narrow body 964.

The front rim has a 225/40R18 tire and a 50mm offset. The rear is massive at a 295/35R18 with a 43mm offset. I've heard of possibly running 285 on a rear (I have a 255 on there now and there appears to be a fair amount of space.. but 40mm might be WAY too much.

If I installed a 285 on the rim.. (geez.. I wish I'd unstacked them to get the exact widith, I just looked at the offset printed on the outside) maybe?

Thanks.. I know there have been similar threads.. the big question I did not see and answer too what offset on the rear might allow a max-mum sized tire.

THX!!!

PS. Tires are not in great shape so new rubber could be put on if it means I can use the wheels. Maybe I should call the guy that had them and find out the width of the rears.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:45 PM
agentpennypacker
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 275's on mine (my car is lowered), and they barely get by...the fronts should be OK. I have stock 996 MY02 w/ 15mm spacers on the rears. They fit great - can probably go to 18mm.

I would be a little worried about the clearance in the rear- have to watch both the inside and the outside.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:48 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

I believe (someone correct me if I am wrong) max is ~47mm offset in the rear of the nb cars. You can spacer a larger offset but obviously not the reverse.
Old 09-22-2006, 04:12 AM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I'll see if the guy will allow me to test-fit one of the rears, I guess that might be the simplest way to know for sure if it would work. I'll see if I can do that tomorrow or some time next week. Not like I need the 18"s or anything but wow.. those wheels (they look like stock 997 wheels) are sharp, big and covered with some slicky rubber, perfect for my next auto-x event..

Of course if the rear tire is rubbing all the way around the course.. that would be less than ideal.

295 would be 10mm (assuming equidistant offset) on each side.. sounds like that is too much to dream for..
Old 09-22-2006, 11:43 AM
kurquhart
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by FotoVeloce
I think I'll see if the guy will allow me to test-fit one of the rears, I guess that might be the simplest way to know for sure if it would work. I'll see if I can do that tomorrow or some time next week. Not like I need the 18"s or anything but wow.. those wheels (they look like stock 997 wheels) are sharp, big and covered with some slicky rubber, perfect for my next auto-x event..

Of course if the rear tire is rubbing all the way around the course.. that would be less than ideal.

295 would be 10mm (assuming equidistant offset) on each side.. sounds like that is too much to dream for..
Watch out for rubbing on the oil line in the RR well. It may not be obvious at first but could have some nasty consequences if cut.

FWIW, I run 225 and 275 RA-1 on 8 and 10x18" rims. In order for these to fit well, I had the fenders rolled and have large negative camber. I think 285 will fit OK, but I would be wary of 295.

That being said, the various tire manufacturers are not all the same size, so trying it out is the only way to know for sure. Also, the actual width of the wheel will play a part in the fit if it is narrow.

Quick Reply: Found local 18" wheels, but will they fit!?