Sponsored by:

OT Florida question

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 04:55 PM
brookewebb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow OT Florida question

Hi - Questions for anyone who knows Florida. Going to be driving down from De Land to the Keys in January. Suggestions for stop overs and routes would be much appreciated. I don't want to spend all day driving, about 3 hours a day will do. Is the coastal road worth taking down from Canaveral? Where is good to stay between Canaveral and Miami, and decent hotels in miami? Budget about $300 a night...
Also recommended stopovers in Keys would be great. Same budget. Travelling with 9 month old so not looking to party!
Of course this is the only forum I would trust with such questions. Porsche owners unite!
Thanks.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:02 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

one stop over might be the Kennedy Space center. Lots to see there. It will take a long time with all the traffic and lights to get to Miami if you take the costal route but it is pretty where you can still see the ocean. It will take you about 4 hours on the Turnpike to get to Miami from Deland and maybe a bit more if you go on I-95. I like South Beach but with a youngster it might be better to stay a bit more north out of the party hotel area as it is noisy all night. Its about 2-3 hours to Key West from Miami depending on traffic.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:11 PM
robbed666
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just done that! keys to Orlando via Coco Beach (Canaveral). A1A nice senic route try http://www.a1aadventures.com/ for info things to do. I personally do not like Miami (bad experience there previous trip), so wouldn't stay there. There are loads of motels all the way down. The Keys are great, plenty of places to stay, again all the way through. We stayed at Hawks Cay resort (mile marker 61, ie 61 miles from Key west) which was good, and children friendly.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:15 PM
brookewebb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks so far! Alternative is to spend 4 or so nights in one very nice hotel a few hours drive from De Land. Cos although a road trip appeals to me, the wife is saying the baby might not appreciate it as much! Preferably hotel with sea views, lovely beach etc! What's the west coast like?
Old 09-19-2006, 07:23 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

the west coast around Sarasota and south has beautiful beaches. Its a bit pricy but I think nicer then the east coast.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:15 PM
JoeNo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Rob. Hawks Kay is great for kids. Plenty of places to stop for pit stop on 95S or the turn pike. Here is the link for Hawks Cay. http://www.hawkscay.com/

Quick Reply: OT Florida question