Sponsored by:

Importing from UK to Australia

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 10:22 AM
G53
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Importing from UK to Australia

Bit of a long shot, but has anyone had shipped a car from the UK to Australia?

I would like to get a handle on costs and compliance...and hassle.

I kind of like the thought of driving a car in Oz that has been to the 'Ring, Le Mans, etc....

It will dictate how far I go on modification!
Old 09-19-2006, 11:01 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Search. It was asked recently, and if I remember correctly - don't. Taxes will kill you, and you would be better buying there. I may remember wrongly though.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:17 AM
IanR
Racer

this guy did it: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hlight=pipster
Old 09-19-2006, 11:42 AM
AB-Oz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi G53,
It turns out I work for EDS, who provide all the IT for Australian Customs.
If you are emigrating here it may be different and you may get concession, but I have a spreadsheet at work I can email/pm you in the next day or so which will give you the info you need.
As a starting point you should also look here Customs

That has a couple of fact sheets and calculations you can do.

Please send me an email if you need more info, or if I haven't gotten back to you in a couple of days.

Cheers
Adam
Old 09-19-2006, 04:49 PM
G53
Advanced

Thanks for the replies everyone. Adam, I'm an Aussie working in London so hopefully no problems getting back in! I've got a spreadsheet of my own in fact, so it would be interesting to compare notes. My main assumptions are the actual shipping costs and any compliance issues, although I thought I read that if a car is over 15 years old they may not apply??

Based on the current exchange rate I think you may save about A$5,000 for a 964 - they are relatively cheap in Oz. But then this is eroded if you sell as the market doesn't like UK cars due to corrosion - not that I'm planning to sell... A 993 seems to make more sense as they've held their values well and you can pick one up fairly cheaply here in comparison. I reckon you could save about A$25,000 on the purchase. A 993 is a bit out of my budget at the moment however....

I'm about to do the suspension and the car's had a top end rebuild, so I kinda like the fact that I will know the car if I take it back and as mentioned in the original post, I like the fact that I've taken it to some great places around Europe...ahh memories.

It would be good to hear from someone who's actually done it..?

Look forward to receiving your email
Old 09-19-2006, 05:16 PM
G53
Advanced

jusr checked out that post - £5,500 approx. Doesn't really make it worth it apart from the attachment....bugger I need get a second job for that 993... Thanks for the search tip - din't think there would be anything on it!
Old 09-19-2006, 08:50 PM
SimonExtreme
Burning Brakes

I am about to do this with my 964 RS. First thing you need to do is to own the car for a minimum of 12 months or you cannot take the car in as a personal import. From there on, it costs about £1450 to ship the car, AU$2000 Aussie fees etc Au$1000 rego and insurance, 1.5% of the car value for shipping insurance, 10% import duty, 10% GST and if the car is deemed to be worth more than AU$57k, there is 25% luxury car tax on the balance above that.

One of the keys for tax is what valuation is put on the car and this depends on which approved valuer you use. A good valuer will be able to justify a low valuation, up to 50% of the actual value.

Bottom line is, if it is an "average" Porsche, it's probably not worth it. However, in the case of my 964RS, it is probably worth while because, although the car will have cost me at least what it is worth in Oz, I probably couldn't buy one if I wanted to. I believe that there are 6 in the country, some of which are converted from LHD to RHD and most are race cars. Mine will be an immaculate, road legal, tuned but numbers matching example.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:24 AM
G53
Advanced

Simon,

I was thinking the same thing re value - but I got the impression that you could just use the sale documents as proof if the car? Obviously if you went out and bought one tomorrow you could write down a lower value... Do you actually employ a valuer in the UK?

In any event I think you are right on the money importing an RS!

Good luck. It would be great to receive an update, particuarly a good valuer.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:22 AM
SimonExtreme
Burning Brakes

The valuer needs to be approved by the Oz government and is over there. It seems usual to use the valuer to manage the Oz side of things, once the car has arrived. From what I have been told, you need a valuer who can get low values past the authorities and who can also smoothly handle the rest of things. If he values too low, the government bin him and if its higher than others, he gets no work!

The value is based on what the trade would offer for a non Aussie complying car and as we all know, the trade will devalue a car for any reason. It seems that you can support a reduced value not only for the costs associated with getting it to full Aussie spec as well as the fact that imports, even when converted, are worth less.

I seriously hope to get a value that means there will be no luxury car tax and on the basis of never knowing who is reading what, I am not going to post the figure I would want if I were to sell the car down there..................

The strange thing is, the car it's most worth taking is our 8 year old BMW 528i Touring. the landed cost (including what we would get for it over here) is still about 30% cheaper than in Oz. Now, I know its only £2000, (significant as a sum but insignificant compared with the overall costs of the move) but for a car we have owned since new and that we know all the faults and maintenance schedules on, we might well take it.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:12 PM
G53
Advanced

Simon,

That's very interesting. Mainy because it justifies me going out and buying a more expensive car!
Old 09-20-2006, 01:15 PM
SimonExtreme
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by G53
Simon,

That's very interesting. Mainy because it justifies me going out and buying a more expensive car!
Easy Tiger!

I hope you aren't thinking of sending me the bill if it costs more than I have suggested it might
Old 10-15-2006, 08:16 PM
Sal 965
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We're going out to Australia at Christmas as a recce for future plans. Does anyone have specific details on shipping to Victoria, which companies to use, etc. and what is the siuation around Melbourne for workshops as i may go and speak to some as part of our trip.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:13 AM
David P
Instructor

Hi Steve,

I know most of the Porsche workshops in Melbourne. I've tried a few and have friends who have tried the rest! PM me when you are coming down and I'll be happy to meet up and show you around.

Regards

DavidP
Old 10-16-2006, 09:38 AM
Wikkid911
Remarkable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sal 965
We're going out to Australia at Christmas as a recce for future plans.
DONT GO!!! Who are we supposed to drive to Wales with???? Adele wont be happy if i tell her! I think you should reconsider.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:41 PM
Sal 965
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wikkid911
DONT GO!!! Who are we supposed to drive to Wales with???? Adele wont be happy if i tell her! I think you should reconsider.
Sunshine, beaches, cheaper living, more space, fewer people, cold beer, barbeques................welsh roads and good company. You make a very strong case

Quick Reply: Importing from UK to Australia