Sponsored by:

Carbon Fiber Bumper Reinforcement

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 12:36 AM
LA964RS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Carbon Fiber Bumper Reinforcement

I've heard that you can get the bumper reinforcement beam made out of carbon fiber...anyone knows where you can find them?

Thanks
Old 09-19-2006, 01:17 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 624 Likes on 479 Posts

The aluminum piece is really quite light... I am not sure what you'd gain from a carbon piece... if you're going for weight savings you can just leave it off the car, no?
Old 09-19-2006, 03:07 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just sent my old one off to another Rennlister and can verify they are not very heavy and you don't need one (other than damage will be greater without it).
Old 09-19-2006, 03:12 AM
DaveK
Race Car

I just sent my old one off to another Rennlister and can verify they are not very heavy and you don't need one (other than damage will be greater without it).
Tom - I'm wondering how much of your 964 is left! I had your aircon pipes a few years ago, and on many threads when people are asking for parts you always seem to have some. I guess the track car is pretty non-stock!
Old 09-19-2006, 06:14 AM
AVoyvoda
Racer

You can replace front and rear bumper bars for same made in cf. Weight savings are:
Front from 15 lbs to 2 lbs
Rear from 16 lbs to 2 lbs
which useful, as they are the extremes of car.
However, cf gets brittle with heat, which could be a problem on the rear beam, as it sits close to the exhaust. You can find them at FVD. Would be very cautious using them on a road car.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:22 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dave: The tub is still there. I suppose most of the dash and the rear window are stock too. Other than that, not much.

The interior is gutted and has race seats and the lower dash was replaced with a piece from Rennline. I was too lazy to remove the glue (and too cheap to pay to have it done) so I added 4 lbs of light weight carpet back in. Anything related to climate control or comfort is gone, the stock steering wheel is long gone, doors are gutted. All body panels have been replaced (except the doors) and everything not needed in the engine bay or front trunck have been removed. The suspension has been replaced with full monoballs and the front now has EVO uprights in addition to the JIC shocks. Springs are now 600/800 and may be increased some more. Sway bars are much bigger than stock and adjustable. At 11" and 13" (x 16") the wheels are bigger (and lighter) than Cup IIs. The engine was built for me after the original one went ka-boom in my first race (rod bolt failure) and the new one has stock cams but other internal parts are stronger. Race class rules require a stock induction system, so that's stock too.

It is a tad faster that it was originally (and the driver has improved too). I'm now able to pass poorly driven 996 cup cars but am a second or two behind the better cup car drivers. The extra 100+ hp they have makes a big difference. I wondered if I could tell the difference when I went to monoballs in the rear (I could, much more planted) and am anxious to get it out for 3 days this weekend to test the new front and firmer springs. I'm hoping it allows me to give them a bit harder time. Now If I could just loose another 300-400 lbs I'd be set...

Anyone need some front uprights or tie rods? I just sold off the front body panels to another Rennlister that had a track mishap, but I do have other parts left.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:17 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Tom, I'll take the uprights, if they have the wheel flanges still intact...had to replace a couple of those a few years back.

FWIW, your "old" front end looks great on the car! ...I'll have to post a recent pic of the car as it's gone through some small changes, not much, but looks a bit more "viscious" I must say.

As for the front bumper beam, no way would I go to carbon fiber, you can have that 13lbs all you want. If that thing was not in place a few weekends ago...I would be in for MUCH more in the way of repairs...I really think it saved my car, and I even reused it!

...so I have a spare from Tom's car for "next time"...UGH

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Bumper Reinforcement