Sponsored by:

Wood for drivers footwell?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 12:51 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once upon a time I also had a woodworking hobby. Then I needed the garage bay for a third car that lived on the track and all the nice tools went to my brother or are sitting in a storage shed. And now that third car lives in a mobile garage and I have even less time for other fun stuff (like mountain biking).

This addiction is dangerous.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:02 AM
kurquhart
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 69 Posts

I also have the Rennline pedals and floorboard. Yes, they are expensive, but well made and functional. Covering the floor is simple sheet aluminum with non-skid strips.
Attached Images  
Old 09-19-2006, 01:05 AM
kurquhart
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom W
Once upon a time I also had a woodworking hobby. Then I needed the garage bay for a third car that lived on the track and all the nice tools went to my brother or are sitting in a storage shed. And now that third car lives in a mobile garage and I have even less time for other fun stuff (like mountain biking).

This addiction is dangerous.
I still have my wood shop in the garage, but it is in danger of going away any month now. I still have a few pieces to finish for the house first, but somehow they just aren't getting done very fast...
Old 09-19-2006, 01:15 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 606 Likes on 462 Posts

I had a wood one in my car - it's sitting out back behind my house... might be warped.... but I haven't looked in a while! With size 12 shoes, I actually prefer no panel in there! If you want my home-made wood panel that fits perfectly and snug, and it's even painted, you can have it! I'll look for it tomorrow!
Old 09-19-2006, 10:35 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom W
I didn't weigh just the stuff from the floors, but think it was about 20 lbs. IMO, it takes pretty radical efforts to make a big enough dent in the weight to see a performance difference and until you remove 200+ pounds you're not likely to notice much difference or see a big difference in lap times.
Thanks - gotta start somewhere.

Marc
Old 09-19-2006, 12:44 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

I searched http://www.cupcar.net/ and found on the parts list (http://www.cupcar.net/techlib/conten...ts_List_07.jpg) a part for 'pedal floor board left' 964 551 897 70. I think this is the correct part, can anyone confirm? Me wonders if it's still available.

Garrett, that is so nice of you! I am going to see if I can find a factory part, just because it's fun mainly not because it's any better than just a piece of plywood. ;-).

Tom, no it' not that the weight savings in itself is a big deal, but it's something. I have already done the 'big list' of weight reducing items including 10lbs off myself. I have removed 200+ lbs from the car at this point, the smaller stuff does add up!

The Rennlist stuff sure is nice looking though!
Old 09-19-2006, 12:50 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by kurquhart
I also have the Rennline pedals and floorboard. Yes, they are expensive, but well made and functional. Covering the floor is simple sheet aluminum with non-skid strips.
You painted your car orange! or is that just the interior?? Anyway, looks good
Old 09-19-2006, 01:26 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

The suggestion of getting rid of all that foam and using a sheet of alum sounds like a great idea. I can then just place the factory floor mats on top of that. I just want to get rid of the foam and the brittle rubber covers that are under there. This will make for a nice weekend project. That Rennline floorboard sure is nice!
Old 09-20-2006, 12:17 AM
kurquhart
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wachuko
You painted your car orange! or is that just the interior?? Anyway, looks good
Just the interior. Here is a more recent shot with a little more perspective. Thanks for the compliment.
Attached Images  
Old 09-20-2006, 12:18 AM
kurquhart
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wachuko
The suggestion of getting rid of all that foam and using a sheet of alum sounds like a great idea. I can then just place the factory floor mats on top of that. I just want to get rid of the foam and the brittle rubber covers that are under there. This will make for a nice weekend project. That Rennline floorboard sure is nice!
It is also not uncommon for the foam pads to be soaked with water and weigh about 10# each.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:29 AM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kurquhart
It is also not uncommon for the foam pads to be soaked with water and weigh about 10# each.
Mine were soaked and weighed a lot. I have plywood on the driver's side and nothing on the passenger side. This is on the to do list, but I want to keep it cheaper than the rennline, so I might go wood again.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:42 AM
kurquhart
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by forklift
Mine were soaked and weighed a lot. I have plywood on the driver's side and nothing on the passenger side. This is on the to do list, but I want to keep it cheaper than the rennline, so I might go wood again.
Are you talking about under your feet? Mine is cheap sheet aluminum cut by hand. The Rennline stuff is only on and behind the pedals.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:45 AM
forklift
Rennlist Member

I have the plate under the pedals. I am talking about the floor boards: http://rennline.com/product.php/sid/...che/prodid/119

Of course I like the more expensive one that is a replica of the original in the Cup.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:48 AM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Your floors look good also. I tried that a few years ago, but my workmanship sucked and I just made a mess. My shop cut a quick plywood floor like the cups and I think I might just use that to cut a new one.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:58 AM
kurquhart
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by forklift
I have the plate under the pedals. I am talking about the floor boards: http://rennline.com/product.php/sid/...che/prodid/119

Of course I like the more expensive one that is a replica of the original in the Cup.
Ahh, Rennline finally got that product to market. I spoke to them on the phone back in February and was told it was "almost ready, any day now". I'm glad I didn't wait for it - it still was not available last time I checked about a month ago. It is nice looking, though.

Quick Reply: Wood for drivers footwell?