Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've drilled the airbox. Should I remove the snorkle or not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006 | 08:54 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

etom- bypassing the primary and secondary will be VERY loud, as in way too loud for the street. Bypassing just the secondary, the cat and secondary, or cat and primary will be much more tolerable.

c
Old 09-18-2006 | 09:33 AM
SimonExtreme
Burning Brakes

I cannot say that in every case I have come across that drilling the box has added power but I am certain it doesn't cost power. I have seen reports of no power gain but believe that is because all that was done was to drill the box. It is in conjunction with other modifications, such as cup pipe, decat etc, that you see a benefit.
Old 09-18-2006 | 02:03 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by forklift
Not to be a jerk, but why do you state this as fact?....
You are the one claiming unproven "facts". I don't operate a dynomometer, but I am friends with the technician that operates a computer-controlled research grade chassis dynomometer unit costing many multiples of the cost of most shop dynos used to "prove" some idea really works. He laughs when he sees claims for HP gains that are a small fraction of the measurement error. Even high-quality dyno results change with every test due to wear, calibration drift, and changes in ambient temperature and humidity.

It is a fact that higher air temperature reduces engine power, all other factors being equal. It is also a fact that detonation becomes a problem with increasing inlet air temperature. I said I don't believe the drilled box changes the IAT enough to notice a difference, but there is a thread that claimed to measure higher inlet air temperature when the factory set up was molested. As I look at the relationship between the fresh air grill and the stock intake snorkel, I think the factory knew what they were doing. We are talking trivial differences, especially at road speed. If you like induction noise, go for it. The extra push you feel in your back is really the noise making you think you increased power. If that works for you, enjoy it.

Last edited by springer3; 09-18-2006 at 05:08 PM. Reason: fixed a typo
Old 09-18-2006 | 03:12 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

"The extra push you feel in your back is really the noise making you think you increased power."
Antistealth , it makes others think you are fast also . .

With all the mufflers and the stock air box , I'll try to fly under the radar, smooth and quiet as can be ...
Old 09-18-2006 | 10:14 PM
hawk911
Race Car

well, I for one, like the noise with a cut airbox and g-pipe.
Old 09-18-2006 | 10:31 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Don't dare drill the airbox! That might be some sort of Patent infringement on a Porsche AG patent....from when they did exactly that for the Motor Sound Package for 993s.

Last edited by Bull; 09-19-2006 at 09:14 AM.
Old 09-19-2006 | 11:49 PM
colo964
Advanced

On rainy days, I've driven with no filter at all. It seems much more powerful, responsive, and sounds great. Never tried a KN filter or a drilled air box, but I'd guess it would be somewhere between all choked up and going commando.
Old 09-20-2006 | 12:05 AM
H964
Rennlist Member

Default !!

you should get`few hps out it, my car feels better but i have a different set up

here is my set up, much better flow i think
k&n 50$
90 degree pipe 13$ (autozone)
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: I've drilled the airbox. Should I remove the snorkle or not?