Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G-pipe advice, please. Brand, supplier, price?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 04:08 PM
etom
Three Wheelin'

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts

"They [g-pipe] do give the car a rumble, and when combined with a cat bypass, too loud for most circuits. Mine measured 107db at 4000rpm!, this went down to 103db at 4500 when I changed to the cup pipe and original sec."

And on the issue of sound, what is the g-pipe with primary by-pass like? Anyone had this set-up with these two?
Old 09-14-2006, 09:42 AM
Millemiglia
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ducnine
Its a really small pipe that is just "u" shaped.
...and it looks like this.

Old 09-14-2006, 10:01 AM
SimonExtreme
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right, I understand now! I hadn't looked at the OEM parts before and had always assumed that the exit from the muffler across the back of the car was just straight out. In fact, I am sure I have seen a G pipe that is for that situation and looks like a swan neck. I probably should have realised having seen a cup pipe (doh!!)

However, surely the best solution if getting rid of the rear box would be to modify things so that the gasses disn't turn 90 degrees forwards and then 180 degrees back but instead just turned 90 degrees to the rear and straight out the back?
Old 09-14-2006, 02:35 PM
TR6
Drifting

Unless those U-turns help maintain the nominal amount of back pressure that actually help performance. Straight pipes sometimes actually decrease torque and/or horsepower due to not enough back pressure. But I'm just guessing.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:45 AM
964rh
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SimonExtreme
However, surely the best solution if getting rid of the rear box would be to modify things so that the gasses disn't turn 90 degrees forwards and then 180 degrees back but instead just turned 90 degrees to the rear and straight out the back?
Some of the dual boxes actually use this theory Simon, one primary muffler with two exits 90 degrees out each side.

I think the G pipe is purely made like this to keep the cost down, but then again I may be talking out of my ****!

Rob
Old 09-15-2006, 02:00 PM
ducnine
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 16 Posts

Just put my order in for a Dansk G pipe from EBS Racing. Price is reasonable. The guy I was in contact with was Troy. Seems like a good guys and he gave a Rennlist discount and matched price from competitor.

I will let you know in a week or two the difference.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:20 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

I have the g-pipe, drilled airbox, and cat bypass. I do believe the cat bypass increases power. How much is debatable, but I *can* feel the difference. You also loose a good amount of weight (perhaps 15lbs or more). I have not weighed all the cat parts, but it's a heap of steel.

As for the sound. It's really really nice. A nice deep rumble on idle. Then when you WOT, man, it's just intoxicating. I get compliments all the time. It sounds like a WWII airplane... really! Not too loud though.

About two years ago I was driving my Audi S4 (now gone) back from Laguna Seca on Hwy 1 with my brother. There were two black 993's dicing it up in front of us. They had this wonderful exhaust note at WOT. At that point I decided I needed a pcar. Now I have that same note. I just love it.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:29 AM
grankin
Instructor

Originally Posted by YYC930
I have a FABSPEED G-Pipe.....for sale at $100....used for 10 miles on a 965 Turbo.....we removed it because it was too loud, as the car had no mufflers at all to begin with.......
PMed you.

Quick Reply: G-pipe advice, please. Brand, supplier, price?