Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I fit a sports-seat from another car maker in my 964?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 11:44 AM
Millemiglia
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Can I fit a sports-seat from another car maker in my 964?

Hi,
I want to replace my comfort-seats with sports-seats (what some people call turbo-seats) and the least expensive I've found is a set for €1800 (US$2300).
I want to have heated lether-seats so I was wondering if anyone here has installed seats from another car maker in their 964?

I recently drove a Mini Cooper S which had faboulus seats.
Wonder if those could fit?
Old 09-06-2006, 01:15 PM
stuart1997
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honda s2000 seats were fitted to this car,they look good to me
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PORSCHE-911-96...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 09-06-2006, 02:56 PM
964rh
Pro

Peter

Some of the breakers in the Uk are advertising 993 hard back sports seat, leather, not sure about heated tho for (iirc) £1000.
Not sure how much shipping to Sweden would be.

Re - Mini cooper S seats, from looking at the wives car the Mini seat are Recaro so you may be able to get some mounting brackets to fit the 964. They are nice seats, but they all come with several airbags in the seat. Not sure if that would be a problem.

I can dig some numbers for the breakers out if you need them.

Rob
Old 09-06-2006, 04:04 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Honda seats in a 911?
Old 09-06-2006, 04:58 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar964
Honda seats in a 911?
Haven't sat in many high performance Japanese cars? Some of those seats are superb, in contrast with the minimally supportive seats standard on recent Porsches. The Mitsu EVO comes with Recaro sportlines standard. Recaro also designed seats for Subaru and other car companies. Not sure if the S2000 seats have Recaro or other Euro pedigree, but the Japanese take seats pretty seriously.

Who makes Porsche seats these days anyway? Hasn't been Recaro for a while. Maybe it's Monroe, like the dampers.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:34 PM
RallyDogRacing
Rennlist Member

Personally I've found in general the Toyota seats to be short in the thigh length, the Honda seats are a little better for me. In the rallycar I'm very picky about using exlcusively Recaro or my old Konig. For anyone adapting another manufacturers non-flat-mounted seat you'll be doing some cutting and welding. I would love to re-fit the seats from an Audi urS4 (non power seats) as they are amazingly comfortable for my frame and very grippy. But it's a LOT of work to make it fit and I'm not sure I'd like the results.

I think your best-bet is to find real Porsche sport seats or Recaro non-shell seats that will be pretty much a bolt in.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:37 PM
wesmc3
Instructor

I have made seat mounts for two cars, one was a toyota supra which had to mate with the floor at three different floor heights, they came out great, and I am no metal worker. Bottom line is that as long as the seat fits in the space it can work out with a little welding, bending, tapping, and patience.

I was worried about strength so I over-engineered a bit, I'm pretty sure I could literally lift either car by the seat.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:58 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by RallyJon
Haven't sat in many high performance Japanese cars? Some of those seats are superb, in contrast with the minimally supportive seats standard on recent Porsches. The Mitsu EVO comes with Recaro sportlines standard. Recaro also designed seats for Subaru and other car companies. Not sure if the S2000 seats have Recaro or other Euro pedigree, but the Japanese take seats pretty seriously.

Who makes Porsche seats these days anyway? Hasn't been Recaro for a while. Maybe it's Monroe, like the dampers.
I've driven all the jap cars. Their seats aren't bad. But I wouldn't put them in a Pcar. The stock Recaros in my 993 are good street seats, and if I want something for the track I'll get a full race seat, either Sparco, Recaro, etc. The S2000 seat looks way out of place in the 911, as would most other jap car seats. That's not to say they're bad seats - but they look wrong in a 911. But knock yourself out, it's all personal taste (or lack thereof )
Old 09-06-2006, 07:45 PM
flat_six
Track Day

Question

pcar964 wrote:
The S2000 seat looks way out of place in the 911, as would most other jap car seats.
This thread is titled "Can I fit a sports-seat from another car maker in my 964?". I'm not sure how the generalization that "jap car" equipment "looks" wrong on Porsches is relevant. Personal taste aside, is a set of Recaro's bolted into a Porsche any better or worse than that bolted into a Mitsubishi?
Old 09-06-2006, 08:42 PM
stuart1997
Instructor

The s2000 seats dont look any more out of place than fitting GT3 seats to a 964,and i bet you can get them for a fraction of the price of porsche ones.
My original genuine porsche sports seats have recaro stickers underneath them and im pretty sure the Subaru sti has recaros as standard.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:53 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

You guys are missing my point. The S2000 seats are fine, they're nice seats. But the 911 interior is a simple design, which is why seats of a simple design look right in a 911. While the jap car seats might be perfectly good, they were designed for a much more modern cabin.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:43 AM
Millemiglia
Racer

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by stuart1997
Honda s2000 seats were fitted to this car,they look good to me
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PORSCHE-911-96...QQcmdZViewItem
Looks great, found these s2000 seats, also on eBay for £275 : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Honda-S2000-Se...ayphotohosting

Old 09-07-2006, 09:57 AM
Millemiglia
Racer

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by flat_six
pcar964 wrote:
This thread is titled "Can I fit a sports-seat from another car maker in my 964?". I'm not sure how the generalization that "jap car" equipment "looks" wrong on Porsches is relevant. Personal taste aside, is a set of Recaro's bolted into a Porsche any better or worse than that bolted into a Mitsubishi?
Exactly why I started the thread.

Originally Posted by stuart1997
The s2000 seats dont look any more out of place than fitting GT3 seats to a 964,and i bet you can get them for a fraction of the price of porsche ones.
My original genuine porsche sports seats have recaro stickers underneath them and im pretty sure the Subaru sti has recaros as standard.
I'm looking for sports-seats, preferably leather with heated seats, that's not embroided with another car makers name (Recaro I could live with so if I can find something not as expensive as original Porsche sports-seats that would be great.

I'll give Subaru a call to see what the will charge for a Recaro seat for a Impreza STi.

Quick Reply: Can I fit a sports-seat from another car maker in my 964?