Problem starting when fan is running

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 04:33 PM
andymin
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem starting when fan is running

Hi

I have owned my 92 964 C2 for a couple of months now and love driving it. I was hoping my first post wasn't going to be a because of a problem with my car......

A couple of times i have had trouble starting it. The problem happens i think when the engine blower fan starts to run after disabling the immobiliser and turning the key. I think that the running fan causes the immobiliser to activate again, the only thing i can do is wait until the fan stops so i can disable the immobiliser again and start the car.

I am assuming the noise is the engine blower fan, however when i lift the lid the noise does not seem to be from the blower on the left hand side of the engine compartment, definately seems to be on the right on the toip towards the rear somewhere.

From my searches on this forum I know the fan is supposed to run when the engine is hot but both times the engine has been cold and it has taken 5 minutes or so to stop. My immobiliser appears to be a PA1000, the one where i insert the plastic thing into the steering column, is there an easy way to disable this?

Any ideas or advice would be appreciated.

regards

Andy
Old 08-27-2006, 06:05 PM
tafkai

hi andy , welcome to the board .
sorry i cant help , but my immobiliser was disabled/removed by 9m as they couldnt get my car to start at all .
do a search , i'm sure i read a post containing a simple disable routine .
i'm not sure if the factory porsche immobiliser is in fact a factory fit . i have a suspicion its a uk importer fitted thing , and unique to uk 964's . but i could(read probobly) be wrong .
Old 08-27-2006, 06:34 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

sounds like a secondary air pump running.........do uk cars have these?
Old 08-27-2006, 06:38 PM
tafkai

as far as mines concerned (which had heater problems , but its now got relay removed) the only fans i have are in the heater box in cabin , in heater behind scuttle , or rear engine fan , and oilcooler fan , both of which seemed to run whenever they liked no matter what i did !!!
Old 08-28-2006, 12:03 PM
andymin
AutoX

Thanks for the replys gents, i've tried a search to find out how to get rid/jumper the immobiliser but had no luck in finding it. I'll check the secondary air pump thing as it definately does not sound like the engine blower motor over on the left hand side.

regards

Andy

Quick Reply: Problem starting when fan is running