Sponsored by:

What Components would i need for RS Spec

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 07:46 AM
jeffnudd
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Components would i need for RS Spec

Ive been looking around at varoius specs of 964's and taken a fancy to the 964 RS, i noticed the suspension is lower, has teardrop mirrors and brake cooling ducts.

Below is a link of a conversion and i have fallen i love with the lowered look :-)
But not the car although its a nice conversion.

Converted to RS

Would i need to do anything to the engine?

Also what other parts would i need to make it look like the RS (if any)?
Old 08-27-2006, 09:11 AM
tafkai

thats a cerrare 3.2 made to "look" like a 964 .
Old 08-27-2006, 09:25 AM
jeffnudd
Racer

Originally Posted by tafkai
thats a cerrare 3.2 made to "look" like a 964 .
Yea i know but nice conversion though.

I would like mine to look like that, i do have an avantage that i have a 964 already although a Targa but would like to do some conversions to RS spec and not spoil it too much :-)
Old 08-27-2006, 09:52 AM
tafkai

depends what year car you got , i will assume a 91
mines a 93 c2 .

yours has 16" design 90 alloys . rs had magnesium 17" cup alloys . mine has alloy 17" cups

yours has flag mirrors . rs had earo mirrors . mine has earo mirrors

yours has front fogs . rs has vents . mine has front spots .

yours has standard susp/ride height . rs had unique suspension/-40mm . mine is same as yours but with different reat top-mounts .

yours has alloy intake manifold . rs has plastic . mine is plastic .

yours has standard engine ecu . rs has blue-print/re-map +10bhp@ . mine is same as yours

yours has standard diff . rs has lsd . mine is same as yours

yours has dual-mass flywheel . rs has 1 piece lightened . mine has dmf

yours has standard glass (but heavier rear window) . rs has lightwieght all round . mine has standard but lightwieght rear window

yours has standard rear bumper . rs has lightwieght center . mines like yours .

i could go on , but you get the idea .
depends what you got as a starting point , but its easy to make our cars look like an rs , and even to drive like one .
Old 08-27-2006, 09:59 AM
tafkai

with mine i fitted lowereing springs , and 18"carrera cup alloys .
i kept the front fogs as i think the indicators look a bit odd / to the side with the rs vents .
allthough i have a modified rear bumper to enable twin exit exhausts , i kept the standard centre section . i think it looks better and its got hidden lights . the rs lumps look good on a side profile , but i dont think it looks as good from the rear , and the old numberplate lamps just annoy me !!!

if it wasnt a cabrio , it would look like an rs !!!!!
Old 08-27-2006, 12:34 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

I don't know to what RS spec you are reffering to but RS didn't have vents but city lights. RS had bucket seats that didn't recline. While we're in the interior, let's not forget diff. steering wheel, door panels, carpet......

What are you oing to do about power steering, thicker sway bars, big brakes etc

Good luck!!
Old 08-27-2006, 01:30 PM
GG Allin
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

An RS America is a good start. But still several very expensive items away from true RS spec.

ECU
Struts & Springs
Sway bars?
Strut brace
Glass
ALuminium doors
Real RS seats - Big $$$
Retractable spoiler (selling the fixed one would offset that cost)
Washer fluid reservoir
Old 08-27-2006, 01:30 PM
SimonExtreme
Burning Brakes

If you are looking at a euro RS compared with a C2, there is rather a lot that needs doing. Firstly, you need to do a lot of seam welding and stiffening to the body shell. Once that is done, you need to replace all the windows with thinner glass and at the same time, remove the electric windows and put in wind up ones. Don't forget, the rear window has no wiper and although it does have the heating elements, you need to strip out the wires and switches that make this work. You need to roll the wheel arches to get the clearance needed for the lowered suspension.

Then you need to rebuild the suspension, using the revised wishbones, trailing arms, shocks, springs, bushes, sway (roll) bars, hubs etc. Remember, the RS is more than just lowered suspension. The brakes need to be upgraded to the bigger brakes, different master cylinder etc and you need to change the abs componments and reprogramme the ASB to RS spec. Finally, you need the aluminium bonnet, lighter front and rear bumpers (fender). Add the correct wing mirrors and that just about sorts out your rolling chassis! Nearly forgot the wheels - 17" magnesium cups (£1200 each new, if you can find them). Luckily, if you are copying the RHD RS, you can leave your power steering.

Next, take out the engine and blue print it. While you are at it, fit the lightweight flywheel and RS clutch. Add the LSD and short shift. Depending on what gearbox you already have, change ratios and syncro rings. Finally don't forget to remount the engine on RS mounts. And while you are looking at the engine, strip out allthe aircon stuff.

Now the interior. Strip it all out except the dash, which needs different heater controls. Remove all soundproofing. All you should have is the pads in the front footwells. Change the door pads and fit RS door openers etc. Remove the front and rear seats. Fit an RS carpet set before fitting the RS bucket seats on RS seat runners. Fit RS seat belt covers. The seat belts should be colour co-ordinated as approipriate (NOT BLACK !!)

Other differences include a smaller washer bottle, no underseal, different steering wheel, smaller battery, no interior light, no headlight washers, battery cut off switch and probably a lot of other things I cannot think of at the moment!
Old 08-27-2006, 01:35 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

if you're in the UK, I would think it's just more simplistic to buy an actual RS vs try to convert an existing 964 to one. Likely less expensive depending on how authentic you wanted to try to be. I would not get an RSA, and convert it to an RS, that seems crazy considering you have the real deal there in the UK.

If you just want the lowered look, then thats easy just upgrade the suspension (H&R/Bilstien or the like) and then have the car set to RS specs for the alignment.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:48 PM
SimonExtreme
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kgorman
if you're in the UK, I would think it's just more simplistic to buy an actual RS vs try to convert an existing 964 to one. Likely less expensive depending on how authentic you wanted to try to be.
Totally agree. However, many people don't actually want an RS but want some of the features. The RS is a very special car but for many, it is just too extreme with its lack of soundproofing, no electronic comforts and rock hard suspension.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:29 PM
tafkai

ok , ok , ok ..............

this guy is in the uk , so i think we're safe to say he is talking about a uk rs !!
but , he doesnt say which version of the rs .......

and ............ he wants a car that looks like an rs . not an actual rs .

so i think its safe to say , seem welding , fitting thinner glass , fuel tank , washer delete etc. would be stupid .

so , as i said earlier . teradrop mirrors , 17" cups , fog removal , rear bumper and lowering will get you the rs look ???
maybe do the washer delete next time youre having the stonechips painted ??
Old 08-27-2006, 02:44 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

If you do a search, there was a guy who did a RS conversion on a mexico blue C2 with rollbar, seats etc....... Very nice car BTW.
Old 08-27-2006, 04:04 PM
jeffnudd
Racer

Sorry for the delay in reply, been off today in the P Car :-) Very nice too.

Lovely sunshine all day (Roof off :-)

Anyway

I seen a white 964 Targa that had lowered suspension front vents, teardrop mirrors and the 17 cups and looked rather tasty although i had been spoiled with a horrible carrera sticker on the side but having said that it was nice, i know that the Targa would look nothing like a converted 964 coupe or the real RS, but boy does the RS look sexy.
What i should of said is looking like a RS rather than go the whole RS Spec, i really never considered how much had changed between the normal 964 and a 964 RS.

Im only assuming the RS goes like stink with it being light as a feather and engine tuned up?
Old 08-27-2006, 04:09 PM
tafkai

yep ,
its a pity the only people who have them are fat middle aged men that undo all porsches weight-saving work .
Old 08-27-2006, 04:20 PM
jeffnudd
Racer

Originally Posted by tafkai
yep ,
its a pity the only people who have them are fat middle aged men that undo all porsches weight-saving work .

LOL

I was thinking ways of trying to raise the capital to buy one, i have seen some for around £30,000 which is way out of my league at the minute, unless i could?

Sell wife £100.00 No Refund
Sell cats £10.00 each x2
Rent Spare room for a month £25,000.00 (Anyone interested call me :-)
Be a slag for a week -£50.00
Sell the Rover £75.00

It might be possible?

Quick Reply: What Components would i need for RS Spec