Sponsored by:

WTF? I hate squirrels.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 02:37 AM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF? I hate squirrels.

So last year I bought a pretty formidable Covercraft car cover for the C2. When it's not sitting in the garage, it has a cover on it. Even at work during the day I take 5 extra minutes to put the cover on... (i feel like Lumberg or something from 'Office Space' when i do)

Anyway, I get dropped off @ home a few nights ago after dinner and drinks, walk past the Porsche on my way to the door and I see two big holes in the car cover right on top near the sunroof. So I'm like wtf? I thought it might be squirrels, but I wasn't sure...

So then today I get home in the afternoon and I'm in the house hanging out... I take a look outside and there's a DAMN SQUIRREL on the left-rear fender of the car cover, just chewing away!!! Then I go out and chase him off... Two minutes later he's back on top of my car chewing on it again!!!

WTF? Would would u guys do besides shoot them? I don't want to accidentally hit my car.

Monday I think I'll call Covercraft and see if they issue any fabric that I can use as a patch or something? I though maybe I got some with my cover but I'm not sure...

Good thing I had drinks tonight.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:52 AM
brookewebb
Instructor

Poison the bast@rds.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:54 AM
jeffnudd
Racer

We have squirrels down work and they seem to like bird seed, we have a bird feeder up in the trees and the squirrels seem to come from nowhere and start having a go at the feeder.

There is a website here that may give you some idea on how to deal with them, repellant of some kind?

DIY Pest control
Old 08-20-2006, 10:53 AM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

I woke up this morning a little bit ago, go outside and that bastard squirrel has eaten even more of it!!! It's pretty much beyond repair now!!!

I'm so pissed off right now that I will commit squirrel murder today. I don't even know what to do except wait for it so I can ambush and kill it.

Couple hundred dollars down the drain. What's worse is that I can't just get a new cover because they'll probably eat that one too.

What the hell?
Old 08-20-2006, 12:58 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I always lean towards the non-lethal solution, if there is one. Can you tell if it's always the same squirrel (see if you can see his nametag)? Seriously, there might be something about that fabric that attracts that one guy. Sounds like you will be getting a new cover, maybe try that bitter apple spray that they sell to keep dogs from chewing. They sell peppermint and spearmint spray that I've used to keep mice off my boat cover, it works, maybe work for squirrels too. Maybe have a dog whizz around it, we feed the squirrels peanuts but they sh*t their pants, drop everything and run when my dogs come out into the yard.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:03 PM
brookewebb
Instructor

Sprinkle some of the aforementioned Birdseed just out of ricochet distance, and wait for the squirrel to discover it before taking him down.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:04 PM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That squirrel's building a nest, needs the fibres to line it and make it cozy for more little squirrels. They'll strip wire for the insulation, shred fabric, you name it, to get nice soft stuff. You might be able to discourage the squirrel with chili pepper - not the flakes, the ground kind - sprinkled on the cover.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:19 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess that squirrel is making a nest . Pulling apart your car cover for it babies . I doubt its eating it for food . Give it the car cover , get another . Be cool . Its just a car cover .

A friend had rats eat his car . They went under the hood and bit into all sorts of plastic bits , wires , tubes , tanks .

My ma's van got turned into a pinecone storage warehouse . I cleaned out hundreds of pineconess from under the hood .
Old 08-20-2006, 01:44 PM
brookewebb
Instructor

Originally Posted by Indycam
Give it the car cover , get another . Be cool . Its just a car cover .
Yeah, and it also needs a car to get the babies down to 'nuts R us' so hand over the keys to the porsche too why don't you?!
Old 08-20-2006, 01:45 PM
CraigC
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had ground squirrels in my yard last year. I counted 3, this year I had about 40. I could live with 3, but 40 was to many, so it was time to break out the pellet rifle. I had holes everywhere in my yard! I would sit on the patio and pick them off one by one. I probably got about 10 before they decided to move to another yard, I put mothballs down their hole too.
You could use birdseed as bait, pull up a lawnchair and do the same.
Academy has some decent air rifles.
http://www.academy.com/index.php?pag...ellet&start=10
Old 08-20-2006, 02:09 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Neighborhood cats use mine for a scratching post at the bumpers. I figure that it's good it's the cover and not the car. They're supposed to be expendable (the cover, not the cats, before somebody says it ). I'm sure if these critters knew it was a Porsche, they wouldn't do it.

I always worried more about neighborhood kids launching a football into it. Now THAT's worth getting the pellet gun out for.
Old 08-20-2006, 02:12 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

http://www.animal-law.org/statutes/
http://www.animal-law.org/statutes/california.htm
http://www.animal-law.org/statutes/newjersey.htm
Old 08-20-2006, 02:12 PM
TR6
Drifting

I lost some expensive patio furniture cushions to squirrels. Taught me not to leave the cushions out overnight. What really pissed me off was when they chewed the siding on my house. I can't bring the siding in overnight! I haven't actually shot or poisoned any yet in the 9 years I've had the house. Once in a while I say I am, but I never do. I'd feel kinda bad about it since it wouldn't exactly be a fair fight....
Old 08-20-2006, 02:29 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

My Gramps was cool , he put food on the outside of the kitchen window sills for the squirrels . He gave them his old clothes for nesting . Lived with them , took care of them , liked them . Did the same for the chickadees , deers , hummingbirds , quail , skunks , ducks etc .

I do not understand why some people spend big bucks on the care , feeding and houseing of horses , dogs , cats , fishes in tanks , birds in cages and then treat the native animals like dirt .
Old 08-20-2006, 02:41 PM
robbed666
Racer

A kindered Spirit for you!
http://animalreviews.zelica.net/reviews/squirrel.htm

Quick Reply: WTF? I hate squirrels.