Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fire Extinguisher Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006 | 05:08 PM
CraigC
Racer

Default Fire Extinguisher Install

I have wanted to get a fire extinguisher for my 964 ever since I read this thread called "fire in the hold" .
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...27fire+hold%27

This fIre was caused by a defective resister in the rear blower fan tube. These should have all been replaced under a recall, but the one in my car was the old one and I bought a new updated one (PN 964-616-550-02) from Sunset for ~$14.00

I found scattered info on fire extinguisher installs by doing a search on Rennlist and Pellican so I thought I would document mine.

I searched to find a good deal on an Halon gas type extinguisher and mount and found it at http://stableenergies.com where I bought a 2.5lb. Halotron red FE for $110 and a mount for a 964 power seat for $50. They shipped promptly and I got it in about a week by UPS ground.

Tools needed: 10MM and 8MM wrenches. It helps to have ratcheting box end because the clearances are tight.
8MM nutdriver
Phillips head screwdriver
magnetic pick up or long tweezers
small piece of duct tape

You first need to move your seat back as far as it will go. Then remove the plastic motor cover with the Phillips head screwdriver (2 screws).

Next attach the FE mount to the FE mounting bracket. Attach it so the nozzle is toward the center of the car, there is not enough room the other way.

You can remove the allen bolts from the seat rails and tip the seat back to access the area on top of the motor mount which is where the bracket mounts to, or you can do as I did and try to mount it without loosening the seat(those seat bolts are very tight). It can be done without removing the seat bolts but it takes some patience.

I used some duct tape to hold the nut on the end of my finger and then placed the nut onto the end of the bolt and turned the top of the bolt, I had to do this with one hand as it is to tight to get 2 hands in there at the same time. It took me about 30mins and I had to fish with the magnetic pickup for 5 min after I dropped one of the nuts.

I now have a new FE installed and have replaced my Blower motor resister so hopefully I wont have a fire, but if I do at least I have a chance of saving the car now.
Hope this post helps someone!
Attached Images        

Last edited by CraigC; 08-18-2006 at 05:28 PM.
Old 08-18-2006 | 05:57 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Does the mounting limit the seat movement toward the front?
Old 08-18-2006 | 06:11 PM
CraigC
Racer

The fire extinguisher moves backwards and forwards with the seat. There is no interference with the seat. It is really out of the way in this position and doesnt interfere with my legs either.
Old 08-18-2006 | 06:22 PM
964 C2R
Intermediate

Thanks for the bracket Tip Craig.

Regards, Daniel Saxlid

Quick Reply: Fire Extinguisher Install