Sponsored by:

oil line position

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 01:41 AM
Jasko
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default oil line position

I'm in the middle of changing out my oil supply lines from the thermostat to the cooler, and seem to have run into a little problem. The photos that I took to remind me of the proper positioning for the lines missed one point where the lines crossed as they passed through the top of the fender well, so now I can't tell which goes where on the front cooler.
Adrian's book shows the inside line as the supply line to the cooler from the thermostat, dumping into the front more upright spigot, and the return line emptying the back, more angled spigot. However, the picture in the book and its caption next to it show the opposite. To make matters worse, Bentley's Tech Manual shows the outside line going to the front spigot, but does not label the lines "to" or "from". Now these are the exact same pictures, but labeled opposite. The PET picture shows the outside line going to the front spigot as well, but only labels the 2 lines as "oil pipes".
I think that the outside line is the "hotter" supply line and empties into the front upright spigot, and the inside line must be the cooler return line , emptying the back sipgot, but can't confirm this....
Could someone please look under the front fender and tell me which line goes to the front spigot on the cooler, and which one goes to the rear spigot.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 08-17-2006, 01:08 PM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

Dave, I had this same problem over the weekend. Conflicting information. And the rubber parts of my hoses had been replaced by the shop, so there are no part numbers on them. The way the hoses fit for me, was the opposite of what is in the parts diagram. If somebody could chime in here with some routing advice, we would both be more confortable.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:23 PM
Jasko
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sundog - I just looked at the photos in KirkF's rebuild thread. He has the oil tank out, and one line (it looks like the outside line)remains attached to the front spigot of the oil cooler. From his reply, it looks like the rear spigot of the oil cooler goes to the inner nipple on the thermostat. Thats what I am hooking up now... But it will be a while before oil is flowing

Dave

Quick Reply: oil line position