Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DRL - The cheap way (but works!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 02:09 AM
Oracle
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DRL - The cheap way (but works!)

Let's suppose you just brought your car into Canada where you need to have the DRL working to pass the inspection, but after GST+Duties+shipping, etc.. well you may not be ready to cough up for the DRL relay when there are other things more important like suspension, tires, new wheels, etc

This is what a friend did for me to help get my inspection without having to buy a DRL relay

Basically he bridged the Fog light relay (Pos 31 in the Fuse Box)... that's it!
The fog lights are always on as soon as you turn the key so this is a valid and legit modification.

Look at the pictures...

First picture is the relay without any modifications

Second picture is the relay with a piece of cardboard inserted on the left side so the circuit is closed (forcibly) on the right.

Third picture is just another angle.

Personally I believe in DRL and will buy the relay when Porsche Germany has them, currently there is no ETA worldwide (I checked with my dealership they called Germany to check but no luck and nobody knows when)

Good luck!
-Jasper

Disclaimer: Do this at your own risk. I'm not responsible for anything that happens to you or your car.
Attached Images    

Last edited by Oracle; 02-27-2009 at 02:26 AM.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:02 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

hope that stuff between the contacts is fire proof
Old 08-14-2006, 08:05 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting mod... But I'm not sure how long I'd leave it like that.

Canada requires daytime running lights even on cars that did not come equiped that way from the factory??? I can't imagine that they would require you to retrofit your car.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:23 AM
last toy
Burning Brakes

I see a lot of cars in Toronto without daytime running lights. I thought there was a grandfather clause that exempts cars over 10 years old. Might want to check this out
Old 08-14-2006, 10:26 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Smokin
Canada requires daytime running lights even on cars that did not come equiped that way from the factory??? I can't imagine that they would require you to retrofit your car.
Transport Canada (DOT equivalent) requires DRL's on any vehicle made since 1991, regardless of whether they came from the factory like that or not.

Marc

Last edited by Marc Shaw; 08-20-2006 at 08:32 PM. Reason: correction
Old 08-14-2006, 01:38 PM
mwildt
Advanced

If you have to do a mod like that use some shrink tube instead. You can get that in various sizes and thickness from places like radioshack. Much safer than a piece of paper towel.

Usual disclaimer applies, don't do it.

Michael
Old 08-14-2006, 03:05 PM
frankvan
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default For Canadians

Check out www.riv.ca
Essentially it says that any vehicle over 15yrs of age does not require modifications. So right now any P-car imported to Canada that was built before August 91 will not require any mods. Yes DRL's were mandated in 1990 for Canada but if your vehicle is more than 15yrs old and imported you could probably get away without the mod (mainly because your car is not inspected by the RIV people). As an aside I always drive with my lights on cuz up here in Alberta everyone drives texan sized pickups and suv's and my little car is just so darn little, i want to be seen!

My car is an 89 and was imported from the US when it was 15 yrs 4 months old so I didn't have to hook up DRL's, get the 5 mph bumpers checked, have the speedo and odo converted to kms, get a french safety label for the airbag, etc... something i did intentionally (I always asked for the month/year the car was built while shopping around )

Now i'm just waiting for 2010 so i can import a 993 turbo

Note, even if the car is over 15 yrs you still have to clear it through customs and pay the GST and 6.5% foreign car duty (the GST is on top of the duty as well - tax on a tax )
Old 08-15-2006, 12:03 AM
Oracle
Pro

Hi,
Effectively I found a piece of cardboard stuck in there... so I'm really-really glad I took it out!. I'm not sure I want that that mod. at all when all I have to do is buy is a relay for DRL just like Porsche designed it. I called Audi today and guess what they have the relay!! Yes boys and girls its the same relay for the same function for Audi and Porsche..

About the RIV/Out of province thing... I think I got an idiot as the inspector.. I told them the DRL rule would not apply to 15+ years from manufacture date but they mentioned something that its 6 months after the last day of the year not manufacture date but even if that is truth still doesn't apply, we're on August!! Then all they cared was the stupid DRL forget about the rest of the car... DRL or the car would not pass... that's when a friend helped me. So I'm shocked with the quality of service there... but you know I DON'T CARE cause I have passed the out of province and have finally registered the car as a canuck!! Yeeeeeehaaaa!

I suppose you can try this modification (not with some flammable material) in case of an emergency if there is such thing but I don't really recommend it.. well if your car doesn't have the wiring then this is waaaay cheaper than the $600 bucks the dealership quoted me just to get the DRL to work!
Old 08-16-2006, 05:58 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

That relay is nothing special actually. I think it's a VW part also, cost me $15. If you need more info pm me and I'll see if I can dig up the receipt.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:25 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Hi Oracle,

Sorry about not getting back to you sooner...

The relay is a Bosch part # 0332014134 for various VW, etc. vehicles

I googled the part and got this:

Click ME

go to the tenth relay down...

I haven't ordered thru them, but if you go to your local VW outfit they should have this relay on hand. $16.92 US
Old 08-20-2006, 09:21 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 432 Posts

Wow, that place says the shipped box will be 7lbs for one relay via UPS ground, at $11!! Geez... that's one heavy relay...
Old 08-20-2006, 09:48 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

no....just a lot of foam peanuts....
Old 08-20-2006, 09:50 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mojorizing
no....just a lot of foam peanuts....
thanks for the info... I have been meaning to do this for a long time, but never came across a source (forgot about it, actually!). So thanks... got one on order!
Old 08-20-2006, 09:57 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Pelican does carry the part, but it's more expensive at $32.00

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...FILTER_TOOL=ON

Quick Reply: DRL - The cheap way (but works!)