Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 11:14 PM
CanyonBlaster
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts
Default I have three nice 1992 Articles on wringing out the C4 if NE1 wants

Hello,

This may be of no interest but wanted to offer !?:

I have three really cool articles, in digital format, from 1992 Execllence titled "Wringing out the 964 C4". A friend from Audi World sent to me recently. They are very good reading/ fun. I think they are helpful to me to get expert insight as to how to either drive the car quckly around a track in stock setup, (they call it release and catch, ie. trail brake in - to abrupt throttle at apex out), or how to sort the car for better handling (less push, etc.). These three articles go through it step by step.

It is old school but I have really enjoyed reading them as I fully intend to sort this bee-otch out (thinking springs & shocks soon)! My C4 is fun to drive now but suspension is stock and she does need to be better balanced, better turn-in, less push, more throtle oversteer, etc.

Let me know if you want a copy of these and I will email to you. Fun to read even if just to see what they were thinking back in the day. If NE1 can host these files that might be easier. They are large files, magazine scans with pics, etc.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:17 PM
C4Russ
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perhaps you could attach them to the post? They sound very interesting.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:28 PM
CanyonBlaster
Rennlist Member

Funny I see you have the setup I am leaning towards after reading these articles as well as lotsa "searches" on our forum. They also added RS/larger rear sway bar.

How do like your setup for backroads/ looks, etc.? Do you track the car? Did you ever own the car with stock? Mines fun but kinda like a fast stiff quattro/ a bit of push....

I will try to post them but they are large, and seperate files for each page.

Last edited by CanyonBlaster; 08-10-2006 at 12:00 AM.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:37 PM
C4Russ
Burning Brakes

I installed this suspension in March, replacing the bone stock suspension that had 108K. The front end was floaty and the car was easily unsettled with abrupt inputs, either steering or throttle. I love the car's feel on backroads and curvey roads. The car feels settled without any hint of instability. In truth, I don't believe I've ever had the car near it's limits on the street as to do so would be completely irresponsible.

Since the update, the car is very neutral with very little understeer. I can affect the line with throttle and I feel the car is very communicative. Adding the large anti-sway was the final piece that made the set-up work. Without that, the rest of it was just new gear and acted as expected. The larger bar changed the turn-in much more then expected. When I added the 1mm larger bar I was very skeptical to even notice the change. I guess like many things, it's the harmony over any one piece. It just works right as it is today (for me anyway). The ride is better then the stock set-up but that doesn't surprise me as it was worn-out.

I don't track the car, it's my year-round driver. I use some D90/Pirelli Nero M&S for winter.

I don't think it would be adequate for serious tracking. I think it would be sufficent for DE events and some track. I think it's perfect for everyday driving however and I have no regrets about the choices.

If you ever get to Spokane you can take it for a spin.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:10 AM
CanyonBlaster
Rennlist Member

Great stuff, I appreciate it. doesn't sound like you need the articles but might be fun to read!? send me an email and I will send you the zip I rec'd. Fun to read, etc.

They, as well as I, totally agree that basically this car has tremendously high street grip/ idiot factor. They go into how the 964 C4 was two things at once: 1. A nephew of the amazing 959, and 2. a lawyer driven (sorry bad pun) response to several law suits Porsche had settled in the US from dip **** newbies who pushed old school 911's into a ditch, backwards. I don't think I could ditch this C4 if I was trying to, in the rain - LOL!. I am medium skill DE and can handle the car with proper setup. My 951 was a a handful but I could hang with many 911's on track. Best thing of this car, especially with the SC is it has instant low end grunt. No more miss a birthday/ waiting for boost, lol!

I also plan to run the D90's I got with the car for the winter with some dunlop M3's or similar (those are great on my Audi's).
Old 08-10-2006, 12:24 AM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Jay,

I'd be very interested in a read! Can you possibly upload to a file hosting server like say http://www.zshare.net or http://www.sharebigfile.com and post the link?

Many thanks,

--Howard
Old 08-10-2006, 12:29 AM
pcarcraig
Rennlist Member

These articles can be found at http://www.porsche964.co.uk/rev_rep/excellence.htm.

Craig
Old 08-10-2006, 12:58 AM
CanyonBlaster
Rennlist Member

thanks MCS.

Guys who PM'd- no need for me to email or host, etc. MCS nailed it . There they are!
Old 08-10-2006, 06:48 AM
JW Hubbers
Pro

Smile

If you google on "Wringing out the C4" you should be able to find at least on other source

Though I couldn't get hold of part 3

Cheers,

JW
Old 08-10-2006, 06:57 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep - these have been referred to several times on Rennlist over the years....makes good reading (even if you don't have a 4x4)

Quick Reply: I have three nice 1992 Articles on wringing out the C4 if NE1 wants