Poor FM Radio Reception

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 03:17 PM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Pesty
Boze-man.

DAB-digital Audio Broadcasting is a UK only thing. its pretty good but as good as it was supposed to be. I think it will not be developed any more because we ware the only country who has it. I think qusality is only 128Mbps for example having said that I love it.

You can't get DAB in America But I belive you can get satalite based systems that work in a simular way? I am sure I have seen something like it in America all tough its probably a subscription thing.
I think the US equivalent to DAB is XM & Sirius satellite radio.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:26 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Here in the US we have XM Radio and Sirius Radio. Both are satelite based systems requiring special hardware to receive. It's commercial free, which is a big draw. I don't know about the public broadcast radio systems in the EU, but here we have a large percentage of commercials and a large percentage of "talk" on the popular stations. I rarely listen to radio. It's just too annoying. I don't have satelite, but would like to have it. The price is still a bit high. I mostly listen to CDs, but have found, more and more, that I just listen to the sweet sound of the car!

Cheers,
Dave
Old 08-14-2006, 08:43 AM
tim_S
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I've had no end of problems with my radio with bad reception and whistling noises. I have fitted the supressor kit that the later cars have with no effect, tried a different aerial with very little improvement, different head units with the same result.

I finally gave in and bought a new Porsche aerial booster last month, it was circa £85 - problems solved!

I have hiss free reception, and no more whistling.....

Its a bit of a pain to fit as you have to remove the clock and a couple of the other dials to feed the wire through the dash.

The parts guy at the OPC sells one a month, they must all be going bad!
Old 08-14-2006, 09:16 AM
Chipster
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts

My radio had very poor reception when I bought the car. The PO said "It never really worked well - just listen to CDs." Well this wouldn't do so I spent several hours chasing down the problem. Everything looked good until I noticed someone had messed with the connector on the end of the antenna cable - presumably when they installed the after market radio. There is a plastic tube in the center of the cable that houses a very thin wire. At some point this wire broke away from the connector. With some careful soldering, I re-attached the wire and viola! I'm enjoying excellent radio reception across all bands.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:50 AM
Pingo
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pesty
Boze-man.

DAB-digital Audio Broadcasting is a UK only thing. its pretty good but as good as it was supposed to be. I think it will not be developed any more because we ware the only country who has it.
Wrong!!. We have DAB in Norway
Old 08-15-2006, 06:12 PM
botoo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same situation that Chipster had. The hair thin wire inside the co-ax cable had broken at the connector at the end of the antenna wire (at the radio end) . After repairing, which took some intricate repair, my reception is now awsome.

Quick Reply: Poor FM Radio Reception