Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C2 stalling in traffic

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 10:36 PM
Shamus964
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, probably LWFW. Most recommend a chip to 'catch' the idle sooner if you have a LWFW installed vs. the heavier dual mass unit. When I had my RS setup installed, I went with a Steve Wong chip and am very pleased that I don't have the stalling issues.

That said, cleaning the ISV takes about 10 minutes so I'd recommend that be done every once in awhile anyway. It might help a little I suppose.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:59 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My car did this allso, the spec said it was fine, maybe due to the LWF?
I had the car re-mapped, it made it drive better and quicker but fault continued.
Both the ISV and maf has been cleaned.

I ended up moving the throttle rest point up.
The small metal bracket that the spring loaded thingy hits on tick over. Been fine ever since.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:47 AM
rarebear
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a LFW (in fact an RS clutch kit) in my 964 C2 and it stalls now and then especially if you go from spirited drivin into the traffic jam mode, the ECU software is not programmed for an aftermarket LFW,
another ECU may do the trick but then you run in other problems because the normal 964 engine differs from the RS version.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:43 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

The LWf is great for a track car a PITA for a daily driver, particularly if you have an aftermarket exhaust or intake...the more load on the engine at idle will make it worse, ac on lights/alt load... I've just adapted how I drive a car with a LWF. Rather than pushing in the clutch and letting the motor idle down you roll up to the stop and put the clutch in as the rpm drops to idle speed about 900-1000 rpm. And yes I've done it all to solve it, chips, tune, clean then new ISV, coils clean intake bla bla bla...
Old 12-10-2010, 11:44 PM
Shamus964
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by J richard
The LWf is great for a track car a PITA for a daily driver, particularly if you have an aftermarket exhaust or intake...the more load on the engine at idle will make it worse, ac on lights/alt load... I've just adapted how I drive a car with a LWF. Rather than pushing in the clutch and letting the motor idle down you roll up to the stop and put the clutch in as the rpm drops to idle speed about 900-1000 rpm. And yes I've done it all to solve it, chips, tune, clean then new ISV, coils clean intake bla bla bla...
Weird stuff - I have the RS LWFW setup, w/B&B catless header exhaust and k&n w/drilled airbox (for sound) and I have zero idle issue, w/the Steve Wong chip. Guess that's why they say YMMV, 'cause on these cars it does. I will say that even if I did have idle issues I would still go LWFW because the upgrade is so profound.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:07 AM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And yes I've done it all to solve it, chips, tune, clean then new ISV, coils clean intake bla bla bla...
did you try replacing the oxygen sensor? i have similar probs (although pretty minor - never stalls just a bump) and i am now doing the o2 sensor replacement. fingers crossed.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:45 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

^yup with two different cars, one I didn't mind due to it being a track car but for the street it sucks. I have a lot of experience with these cars, in cool weather without ac its not bad at all, but during hot weather with ac on, it blows...
Old 12-11-2010, 06:39 AM
evoderby
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since you've already replaced the ICV with a new one try this: take your old ICV, remove the resin from the adjustment screw, use an allen key to screw the adjuster inwards until you get a 2mm gap between the slider and body.

Plug the icv in, you should now be getting a warm idle of between 900-950rpm, if idle is higher than this turn the adjuster outwards and vice versa. On cold starts the above setup requires some 20 seconds of foot throttle since it reduces the ICV's working range, but once slightly warmed up the idle never undershoots....no stalls on downshifts and in heavy traffic which makes the car so much nicer and more intuitive to drive.

Rgds,

Harald
Old 12-12-2010, 08:19 AM
surfdog4
Instructor

i did figure out the trick of no clutching until you have slowed considerably when you are coming to a stop, but like someone said you don't always have time to think about it. I also have the RS clutch kit, installed by the PO.

I was considering pulling the ISV anyway, then i saw several threads with folks that cleaned the ISV and ended up with no idle at all! Its interesting my 928 had a different system for controlling the idle "bounce", it was a vacuum operated "air leak" across the throttle body that opened when the throttle was abruptly shut. Looks like the ISV is a slightly more sophisticated version of that.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:39 PM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by surfdog4
I was considering pulling the ISV anyway, then i saw several threads with folks that cleaned the ISV and ended up with no idle at all!
I'd ignore that. From memory, they did something wrong with the install after the clean anyway. Definately pull it out & clean making sure to test with a small 9V battery, so you can see it is clean on the hidden part of the flap.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:18 PM
Ben__B
Intermediate

This may not be connected but its an issue I had with poor idle. The impeller on the inside end of the fan shaft had at some point touched the cowl covering it and it had melted and then set hard, melted and set hard, over and over. In addition it was causing melting plastic fumes to enter the HVAC system.

Old 12-12-2010, 06:23 PM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ben__B
This may not be connected but its an issue I had with poor idle. The impeller on the inside end of the fan shaft had at some point touched the cowl covering it and it had melted and then set hard, melted and set hard, over and over. In addition it was causing melting plastic fumes to enter the HVAC system.
How does that impact the idle?
Old 12-13-2010, 04:08 AM
Ben__B
Intermediate

Anecdotally the idle and low speed pick up improved when I fixed it.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:30 AM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Sorry .. i dont quite understand the parts/system and how it impacts the idle. Can you explain please.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:58 AM
Ben__B
Intermediate

As i said it may not be connected, and my findings are purely anecdotal, but it might be something to check out if all other suggestions draw a blank. I found it affected throttle response so there was some drag in the system.

Quick Reply: C2 stalling in traffic