Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hot knees! a few other problems & PROmax chip query!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006 | 08:27 PM
kosh
Advanced

Default Hot knees! a few other problems & PROmax chip query!!

I Wonder if anyone can help me?
PROBLEM 1....
I have a 1990 964 c4 (UK) and I have been experiencing warm knees when driving my car for about a year or two.

Recently though I have noticed it's getting hotter.

Under closer examination the under side of the dash is extremley hot to the touch, especially any metal parts.
I assume this heats coming from the oil cooler but is there something wrong?
We've had extremley hot weather lately (36c) could this be a contributing factor.

I'm worried incase my car bursts into flames.

PROBLEM 2....
After having my car fully serviced recently I've had another problem where my windscreen washer jets are not performing as well as they should do! They seen to work at first and then loose preasure, the passenger side appears to have more pressure and the drivers side dimeneshes into a dribble! pulling the stalk again increases the preasure before it dies back down (like a water pistol!!) the other water jets work fine (intensive wash & headlamp) there is water in the tank. Any ideas on whats gone wrong and how do/much to fix it?

PROBLEM 3....(although this may not be a problem!!)
I have recently noticed a buzzing whilst driving. Now I've always had this noise from the front of the car when starting and I believe it is the oil pump pumping the oil to the engine. It's just that I've never noticed it when driving before. I have however just fitted a PROMAX remap chip (with the new 6850 limiter). Could this be causing this extra activity or is something else broke!!!

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-31-2006 | 08:38 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

1 - sounds like the hot air ducts are deteriorating and need replacement. Or, if you're lucky, have just come loose. They are tan in color and can be seen in several pics in this thread

2 - I think if you do a search you will find several threads on cleaning the jets

3 - This sounds like the hydraulic pump pressurizing the system. It should run 30-60 seconds immediately upon turning the key depending upon how long the car has sat since last run. You should notice that some of the warning lights go out when the pump finishes. If it runs longer than a minute with each start up you MAY be nearing time to replace/service it.
Old 08-01-2006 | 06:05 PM
kosh
Advanced

Thanks for your advice.
With regards to PROBLEM 2..
I don't think the actual jets are blocked as the 'intensive wash' projects perfectly on to the windscreen. does the pump go too weak to push the water out?
PROBLEM 3....
Yes the pump does run for about 40-50 seconds and the lights go out. Its only since Ive installled this chip I've heard it re priming.
Old 08-01-2006 | 07:14 PM
Pingo
Racer

Originally Posted by kosh
Thanks for your advice.
With regards to PROBLEM 2..
I don't think the actual jets are blocked as the 'intensive wash' projects perfectly on to the windscreen. does the pump go too weak to push the water out?
There are some valves thats migth be partial blocked/defect.

Attached Images  
Old 08-02-2006 | 07:26 PM
kosh
Advanced

Thanks for the diagram, I'll look into it.
Best regards

Quick Reply: Hot knees! a few other problems & PROmax chip query!!