Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission clunking

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006 | 09:39 PM
jaboc03
Advanced

Default Transmission clunking

Well after my engine mount fiasco, I have another thing that has shown itself.
When I am driving and I let off the gas and coast I hear a clunk and feel somthing shifting underneathe the car, also the shifter itself seems to move a little. Then when I get back on the gas I hear the same clunk twice and feel something shift from the front to the back and then the car will accelerate. Also recently I have noticed it being a little bit harder to get into gear, particularlty 2nd. This is a constant thing. I don't know if this could be the clutch saying it is on its way out or maybe the trans mount. It is really starting to make me angry. The car just doesn't feel as solid as it used to. I need some guidance on what to look for.
Old 07-28-2006 | 11:50 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Check the engine mounts, transmission mount, and the CV joints. If they are tight, the problem is broken clutch center or the dual-mass flywheel has lost its center rubber. If not that, there is a major malfunction inside the transmission. You can observe the back-lash of the transmission by jacking up the rear wheels, put the transmission in whatever gear causes the problem, and see how far the rear wheels turn before encountering resistance. More than a couple of inches at the rubber is probably not good. Check the simple and cheap things first. I would not drive the car like that unless I knew what was up.

A buddy of mine had similar symptoms, and it turned out the idiot that rebuilt his transmission did not properly torque and stake the output shaft nut where it attached to the intermediate plate bearing. The nut backed off. The ring and pinion lost all their teeth, and the transmission was junk. He was feeling lash in the transmission for several thousand miles before it broke. He could have salvaged the situation by pulling the transmission and finding the loose nut before it backed off so far that damage was done.

I don't mean to be alarmist, but find the problem. Driveline clunks are not good, and can get worse.
Old 07-29-2006 | 02:53 PM
jaboc03
Advanced

Since it is Saturday I actually have time to work on my car. I know it isn't the rear engine mounts, so I will check the trans mount and the cv joints today. I can't put the rear wheels on jacks to check it since it is C4, also it is an 89 so it shouldn't be the dmf. The car only has 67,000 miles on it, that seems a little too soon for a clutch to go out, right?

Quick Reply: Transmission clunking