Sponsored by:

Embarassing Pump Experiences

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 09:01 PM
jjbunn
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Embarassing Pump Experiences

Just to show I have no shame when it comes to stupid questions, here is another.

I had to go to the gas station for the first time with my 964 since it was down near empty.

I opened the gas flap, removed the cap, put the nozzle in the orifice, squeezed the handle and ... nothing happened. No gas flowed. Pump showed 0.

So I fiddled around with the position of the nozzle, but couldn't get it to start pumping. Our Volvo V40 is a bit temperamental like this: sometimes it needs the nozzle holding at a very specific angle. I tried all sorts of angles, but the pump wouldn't start.

Feeling a bit sheepish, I went over to the cashier, and asked him for help. he came out, took a look, and sort of held back the rubber sleeve around the nozzle, and managed to get a little gas in. Then he handed me the pump so I could continue, and walked away.

I tried again ... no luck. At this point I had put in $1.33 of Premium. So I decided to drive to another gas station, and cut my losses (and retain some dignity).

At the next gas station the same thing happened. Again I asked for assistance, and the young girl attendant came out, took pity on me, and filled the tank up without any apparent difficulty at all! The shame!

What am I doing wrong? Are 964s difficult to fill? Am I missing some "trick of the trade"?
Old 07-28-2006, 09:08 PM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

Julian,
Did you push the nozzle in enough to open the blow back flap ?
Sometimes I have to move the nozzle around to encourage the pump to do its thing properly !
Whay a PIA !!
All the best

Geoff
Old 07-28-2006, 09:48 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

turn the handle around with the top facing out and triger towards the hood. Gas will go in faster and not keep shutting off. Worked on all 3 of my 911's
Old 07-28-2006, 10:37 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was waiting for you to tell us you had been trying to put it in the windshield washer filler neck by mistake!
Old 07-28-2006, 11:47 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

Just about all of my 911's do this from time to time. Turning the nozzle 180 degrees usually helps.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:59 PM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

I was looking at a neighbors 71 911 the other day and couldnt resist telling my wife about people filling the oil tank with gas !
Well ,the filler is soooo convenient under that cute little flap !

Geoff
Old 07-29-2006, 01:17 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Red rooster
I was looking at a neighbors 71 911 the other day and couldnt resist telling my wife about people filling the oil tank with gas !
Well ,the filler is soooo convenient under that cute little flap !

Geoff
Hopefully you were looking at a 72.. that was the one year with the flap in the rear quarter panel..
Old 07-29-2006, 01:39 AM
jjbunn
Racer

Originally Posted by chris walrod
Just about all of my 911's do this from time to time. Turning the nozzle 180 degrees usually helps.

Thanks for all the advice from everyone (especially the bit about not trying to force the gas into the washer fluid filler hole!).
Old 07-29-2006, 01:45 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 158 Posts

Don't feel bad, I just read a road test article in (I think) Road and Track and one of their bozos dumped a load of DIESEL into a new car (BMW M-Z4?). How the F%$$ do you manage THAT given the fact the diesel nozzle won't FIT into a gasoline tank! Tenacity!!
Old 07-29-2006, 10:52 AM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

Gary R,
You are so right. I must tell him as he is certain its a 71 and I didnt know to argue !!

The car came from Belgium some years ago and has a SC motornow . Needs work.

Thanks for that

Geoff
Old 07-29-2006, 12:16 PM
TR6
Drifting

Originally Posted by Red rooster
Needs work.
I'll bet it does if anyone has ever put gasoline in the oil filler neck!
Old 07-29-2006, 02:42 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Don't feel bad, I just read a road test article in (I think) Road and Track and one of their bozos dumped a load of DIESEL into a new car (BMW M-Z4?)...
Not as bad as putting gas into a diesel. One of my co-workers did that to his new TDI Bug on the second tank. Not a warranty-covered item.
Old 07-29-2006, 04:04 PM
TR6
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bearclaw
Not as bad as putting gas into a diesel. One of my co-workers did that to his new TDI Bug on the second tank. Not a warranty-covered item.
In a diesel, the engine management system should detect improper fuel properties and shut the engine down immediately before it can do any damage. At least that's what I was told the Ford trucks do (thankfully, I haven't made that mistake yet!). Of course, you still have to pay to have it towed to the dealer and have the fuel tank emptied and flushed out....
Old 07-29-2006, 05:47 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere

I think by the time it shuts down you'll have fuel lines to flush, as well. True, no real damage, except the $300-odd damage to his wallet, and the damage to his ego (compounded when he divulged it at work).
Old 07-29-2006, 08:49 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TR6
In a diesel, the engine management system should detect improper fuel properties and shut the engine down immediately before it can do any damage. At least that's what I was told the Ford trucks do (thankfully, I haven't made that mistake yet!). Of course, you still have to pay to have it towed to the dealer and have the fuel tank emptied and flushed out....

Last year I was riding back from a Florida fishing trip with a buddy in his F350 diesel pickup. At one of the gas stops in Alabama, he accidentally put gasoline in the tank instead of diesel. He had filled it halfway before realizing his mistake. He then panicked and topped off the tank with diesel to at least dilute it. He was white faced when he came in the station and told me. Turns out that was a great move. It was a Sunday, so we figured we were stuck until we could get the tank emptied somehow. We called a buddy of his who's a diesel mechanic and he told us "no worries" the truckers run a 50/50 mix through their engines every so often to clean the injectors. So off we went with our 50/50 mix and made it back to Texas with no problems. His truck has had absolutely no problems in the year since this happened.

Now, Diesel in a gas engine - different story for sure.

However, *disclaimer* I don't encourage anyone to try!

Steve

Quick Reply: Embarassing Pump Experiences