Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horn Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 11:42 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had troubles with the horns, and I replaced them with a set of air horns from a Fiat... of all things. I didn't realize the horns could be repaired. Now my car sounds strident enough, but not all that German...

One big problem creating intermittent horn work was the contact from the steering wheel to the rest of the car. There is a spring-loaded pin that goes around with the wheel, and it contacts a brass ring. That pin spring had gotten weak... I re-stretched the spring and cleaned the face of the pin with emery paper... it works now. It was a pain to track down that fault.

I'll put the originals back someday.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:45 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Kudos to Mark Schettenhelm for a great write-up on horn problems. Both of mine were intermittent, including several recent double-horn failures (zero sound). That is frigthening on Atlanta freeways, because SUVs and semis change lanes often and are evidently too tall to see a 964.

Both horns had cold solder joints where the coils were soldered to the circuit board. Both have shiny well-fused solder joints now, and both horns sound every time.

Quick Reply: Horn Question