Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suddenly my windows work even without the key in the ignition. ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 06:26 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suddenly my windows work even without the key in the ignition. ???

I don't recall ever being able to roll my windows up and down without having my key in the ignition and turned to at least the first power position, but my girlfriend noticed as she was getting out the other day that my 964 now does this.

I just tried it out again for myself... After letting it sit by itself all day, I unlocked the passenger side door and pressed the passenger window switch down. Sure enough the window went down and I'm standing there holding the key in my hand...

Is there something wrong or has this "feature" always been around and I just haven't noticed it.

Thnx,
Harry
Old 07-24-2006, 06:33 PM
Pingo
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has happened to me several times. Haven't been able to figure out why this is possible.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:35 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 928 does it sometimes too. I suspect a bad relay somewhere.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:46 PM
jeffnudd
Racer

I will try it out right now for you.

Be Right Back

Yep, unlocked the car and sure enough mine work with the key in my hand too :-)

Last edited by jeffnudd; 07-24-2006 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Need the answer to the question in hand
Old 07-24-2006, 06:55 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

ah, cool... finally a problem that other people have so i don't look crazy!

incidentally, my horn stopped working recently too...

EDIT: ...and I have a very slow battery drain.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:03 PM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

They will work with the drivers door open,

Kevin
Old 07-24-2006, 08:46 PM
Chad T
Instructor

Ok what do I have to break to make my car do this? It drives me crazy when I shut off the car then my passenger jumps out and the power shuts off to the windows because a door has been opened. I would love to be able to do this.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:51 PM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

Chad T,

If the door sensors were not working I doubt it would stop the windows for whatever the normal time period is after the ignition is off. So to fix that problem you could break the passenger side door open sensor. This would also cause your lights not to illuminate when that door opens and probably compromise your alarm. On the other hand it has taken me about 18 months to train my wife not to open the door till after the windows are up. (eventually I learned it was I that needed training by idling the engine for a bit before shutting off and rolling everything up during that time. Removes the exess oil in the crankcase as well.)

My car will not let me roll the windows up or down without the ignition on at least the first setting.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:28 PM
DerkBarrington
Instructor

I had the same problem. It turned out to be the corroded door switches. I removed and cleaned the switches and all is fine. P.S. This problem also causes a battery drain.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:44 PM
Chad T
Instructor

Well I guess I better leave it alone. Just one of those annoying features like wipers that wipe the dry dirt on your windshield when you activate the washer spray way before any washer fluid hits the glass.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:30 AM
Youcef
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sunroof can also be activated with drivers door open, along with the windows twas the same on my 964 and now on my 965.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:30 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine did this on day ONE, a bit disturbing at 1st, but I'm over it.

Thinking there is a relay issue or something related, have never addressed the "problem"...would like to hear if there is a simple fix though!
Old 07-25-2006, 07:50 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Does your interior light work when you open the doors? My car windows will work after the key is removed until a door is opened. Once that happens the windows loose power. I suspect one or both of your door open switches have failed.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:02 AM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I suspect we could all be talking at cross purposes here since I believe the operation of windows is a "market area specific" issue. AFAIK, European models allow the windows to operate indefinitely if either door is open.

I suspect there are different safety regulations applicable to different markets which determine how the windows (and plenty of other things) operate.

Sure, failure of door switches will affect the operation too but I think we are being optimistic to think there is a common problem - or a common solution.

Regards

Dave
Old 07-25-2006, 10:06 AM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Thnx for the replies so far...

Concerning my door ajar switches (which turn the dome lights on when a door opens), yes they do work; most of the time... The driver-side switch actually works about half the time and the passenger one works almost always.

I know we're dealing with a Porsche here, and I know they can have some weird electrical quirks (just like VW and Audi). That said, the main mystery here is: "How can a 'door open switch' confuse the car into thinking the key is in the ignition hours later?"

I can imagine the switch affecting the power windows when the key is in the ignition, but once the doors are opened, AND the key is out of ignition, AND the doors have been locked from the outside, shouldn't that sort of "reset" the power and tell the system to shut down?

I can think of some theories of how the switches may work but I'm not really sure. Can someone add to this for me?

Thnx,
Harry

Quick Reply: Suddenly my windows work even without the key in the ignition. ???