Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do cabin heaters on 964's crank out enough heat in the winter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 05:31 PM
SimonExtreme
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by springer3
Try an E-class Mercedes. I have heat in the first block, and the temperature/fan controls are far superior to the 964 system. On AC there is no comparision. A 964 has adequate AC. Most modern cars are good to excellent.
I wouldn't know if the aircon on a 964 is any good. Thank heavens I don't have it. Far too much weight and too much power drain!

I do agree that as an overall package, a modern car is far better than a 964. I have 2 BMW's with full climate control which, I would argue, is better than the E class system (yes, I have been in one as one of my sales managers has one).However, in terms of pure heat/defrost capability and in particular, on start up, I think the 964 is as good in some areas and better in others. Because of the quick heat up, it defrosts quicker, although not as fast as our X5, but that does have Parked Car Heating! But it is far better than our 5 series which, like most water cooled cars, does not get warm for a while after starting.

All this is a little besides the point. The real point is that you stated " heat-up is a problem on really cold days" and that simply isn't so. Heat up on a cold day is better than on any car that doesn't have some sort of parked car heating system and as it heats up quicker than other cars, defrosting is better. If you find otherwise, I can only assume your system is faulty
Old 07-23-2006, 09:44 PM
Steward B.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have driven my 93 C4 the last two winters in the Twin Cities and been very happy with it. Jon Beatty, who is the chief driving instructor for Nord Stern region of PCA, the local region, has driven his each and every day for longer than that. Get a good set of snow tires mounted on wheels as the wide summer tires leave much to be wanted when we get the heavier snow and ice.

I drove several winters with my 1980 911SC and had great luck with that also. Frankly, the car heats up faster than a water cooled car. Only when we had the weekend of sustained -15 degrees last February did I think the air cooled heater wasn't sufficient.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:28 AM
Hildy911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Thaddeus
Thanks for the insights!

I am locked and loaded. The search has begun.

Thaddeus-There is a 92 (?-maybe later) black C4 in Rosseau MN for sale. At least it was a week ago. I didn't get to see it as Rosseau is about as accessible as Pluto, but maybe it's closer to you. I believe $20k will take it and it checks out on Carfax. PM me if your curious. I can give you the fellows e-mail addy.

PS-Can't speak of 964 heat, but my midyear car was just fine in the winter. I have to believe the 964 is more so. The air works GREAT I can tell you that!
Old 07-24-2006, 10:32 AM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Steward, please see PM.

Old 07-24-2006, 10:36 AM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hildy, see PM.

Quick Reply: Do cabin heaters on 964's crank out enough heat in the winter?