Sponsored by:

6x9 Speaker installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 11:30 PM
wsybert
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 6x9 Speaker installation

Just put in Infinity Reference 6x9 speakers. MUCH better sound, and needed bass. Also installed Pioneer head unit.
The speaker installation went well. I started off with 5x7's and after doing the cutouts and setting them in, I realized they had no grills... so out came the 5x7's. Went back to Best Buy and looked for another set of 5x7's, none of them had grills, so I bit the bullet and bought 6x9 Infinity Reference. Made the holes a little larger and ta-da.
Installation:
*Remove rear panel. (only four screws holding it in.) I also removed the rear seatbelt mounts so I could take the entire panel out to work on it.
*Lay template over existing hole and offset the lower (or front, toward the front of the car, as the panel would be installed) part of thetemplate about 1/4" from the existing factory hole. (see picture below) Use a sharpie marker to trace the template.
*Cut the viny fabric in a radial direction from center to outer edge, as shown in picture. Cut it right up to the template line.
*Next, tuck the vinyl strips back up under the panel. This will keep them out of the way. You should still be able to see your template line.
*Take a pare of tin snips and start cutting the plastic deck under the vinyl, keeping in line with your template mark. This stuff is tough to cut. It is kind of thick, but it can be done.
*Once you have the hole cut out, try a test fit of the speaker. If too small, take a little more out. I cut mine small on purpose, so as not to go too large and mess up the deck.
*On the passenger side, i had to remove some of the sound deadening material under the deck, around the magnet of the speaker, to allow the deck to sit in the original location. There is only about 3" clearance from the top of the rear deck to the bottom. So if you do this, choose a speaker that has no more than 3" mounting depth, for a top mount application.
*Install factory wires onto new speakers, mount everything back in place and enjoy.

My new Pioneer head unit has pretty good power, 22w RMS, and drives the new 6x9 speakers very well. The bass is not like you would have with a dedicated subwoofer, but it is close. I can feel it now and love the quality of the Inifinity speakers.

The only problem now is I have a new exhaust on the car and have most likely spent the money on the stereo for nothing.
Attached Images    
Old 07-23-2006, 01:40 AM
jjbunn
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice job!
Old 07-23-2006, 10:53 AM
DougB
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great post...thanks!

Quick Reply: 6x9 Speaker installation