Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pictures of Fabspeed primary bypass (cup) pipe installed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 04:44 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 141 Posts

I remember Jeff Burger and Bob Scotto's 964 Cups having 3.8 tails on them. I guess having to run with the stock retractable wing makes sense since that's how the cars came out of the box.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:25 AM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bgiere
The pipe I have is definitely not flared.....
Dang it. What a load of crap, especially considering it's a $350 part. I know.. I have one that I paid that much for, and it has just the slightest of flare on the flanges!! I am NOT impressed and I don't think I'll buy any more Fabspeed parts. Are they notorious for quality control issues OR is this something that might be a year-specific issue? Mine is a '90.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:35 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by FotoVeloce
I am NOT impressed and I don't think I'll buy any more Fabspeed parts. Are they notorious for quality control issues OR is this something that might be a year-specific issue?
There are no model year specific issues.
Old 09-07-2006, 04:07 AM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great.. I guess... Thanks for the info though. Sounds like I got a part that might not have been manufactured correctly. Maybe I should just go back to plan B, cut off the old muffler and have a resonator / glasspack installed in it's place, then use some universal exhaust hangers bolted to the body where the old 'wing' hanger went and be done with it... :/

I will say that it did seem to sound pretty good even with the exhaust leaks (I did not rev it since I have neighbors that are in thier 80's hate to give them heart attacks..

UPDATE:

Well.. I have a primary bypass in place! And a pile of Fabspeed parts in a box ready to go back to whomever 'manufactured' it (and I use that term sarcasticaly).

The local pipe shop put the Fabspeed on the flange tool and started to enlarge it but the metal becan to show sings of cracking WELL before the ID was even close to the OD of the stock steel doughnut. Game over.

At this point I was obviously quite frustrated. In my infinate wisdom (quit laughing) I'd taken the stock muffler to the shop to show them how I wanted the expanded flanges to look. What became painfuly clear was that with a little careful work on the part of the shop they could cut out the muffler, and put in a straight section of pipe. The tricky part would be to keep the connections on each end properly oriented.

Making a long day and story short, the tech made a jig out of some scrap pipe, cut out the muffler, cut and welded in a section of straight pipe. Total cost of this was $60. Maybe more than I thought it would be since it *seemed* simple but it did take some time to fab a crude jig, cut and fit, then finally weld. Regardless.. for a fraction of the cost of the Fabspeed kit ($60 vs. $360 + shipping) I have the same result. Sure it's not as pretty but I'm looking for performance, not beuty. It's exhaust dang it!

Here are side-by-side pics of the FS part and the quick-and-dirty solution.

Best part is that I was able to re-use the stock muffler hanger (with some minor bends) and a 3" diameter clamp they gave me for free at the shope and it's all nice and tight.

I also applied some exhaust goo just to be on the save side but everything lined up (which the Fabspeed never did, regardless of the flange issues) and after 20 min. to re-install, I was on the way to work.

I don't know how forcefully I can express my dissapointment in the Fabspeed product (the last word, I use with heavy sarcasim).

Next.. pre-made secondary muffler replacement or another round of 'back-wood muffler shop fabrication'?
Attached Images  

Last edited by FotoVeloce; 09-07-2006 at 07:51 PM.
Old 09-07-2006, 04:14 AM
etom
Three Wheelin'

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by K964
I'm with Jupe---the car sounds incredible with all 3 bypasses.
Mike
So which brand of bypasses have you all been most happy with? I am after a little more idle growl as opposed to flooring-it growl.

Quick Reply: Pictures of Fabspeed primary bypass (cup) pipe installed?