That sinking feeling

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 12:48 PM
kris
Skippy
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts
Default That sinking feeling

This afternoon I got a call rom my nephew who wanted to come over and show the slate grey 93 C4 he just bought (one ride in my mine was enough to flip the Cooper S). I thought it would be nice to go out for a ride together. Just as I was closing the garagedoor I found myself staing in complete disbelief to a huge pool of oil on the garagefloor where my car stood a few moments ago. My stressmeter went big time into the red zone, my knees started to feel rubbery and I could hardly breath. I kept saying to myself that such a catastrophic oil leak (an overnight square foot) could only be a ruptured oil line but still I had images of minus numbers on my banc account. After we went for a drive I put the car on a friend's lift to remove the engine shield, the leak is clearly from what looks like an oil return line connection just above the central silencer. Stressmeter is back in the green zone, I'm going to have a drink, even a rather large one. The car needs its biggest service 100.00 miles/160.000 km shortly so I guess it want be too much of an attaque on the wallet.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:00 PM
chancecasey
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was bad on mine as well -leaked at the pressure fitting. You can get a new one (the entire line from case to filter flange) for $185 + shipping and they are pretty easy to replace if you take out the oil return tube next to it on the case. A good wrench should be able to do it in less than an hour. Of course you'll need to drain the oil first.

Last edited by chancecasey; 07-18-2006 at 06:31 PM.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:27 PM
last toy
Burning Brakes

Talking

That's good news that it was just a fitting. $200 is quite cheap compared to what it could have been. Actually, I think the more expensive oil leak problems are more subtle and slow dripping. Have two drinks !!
Old 07-18-2006, 06:00 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kris... Happy Birthday to your car! I'm glad your stressmeter didn;t get carried away. I have a small leak that has been annoying me for some time. I'm pretty sure that it's the oil pressure sending unit. Someone a while back wrote an excellent how-to on how to change it. I can clean my ISV and intakes at the same time. I overfilled just slightly at the last oil change and I think a little oil went to the wrong places. I figure this Saturday I'll tackle the job... If it's below 100 degrees!
Old 07-18-2006, 06:33 PM
chancecasey
Burning Brakes

Be sure to get the green Viton o-ring when you change your sender. The red one is crap. Blew oil all over the place the first time I hit the rev-limitero, er, I mean, came CLOSE to hitting it. Yeah, I never hit it. Really.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:44 PM
kris
Skippy
Rennlist Member

Tx guys, I just looked up an older thread from Garett where Jason Andreas came up with the hose in question (964.207.254.04) from EBS Racing for 156 USD Link This would be pretty good compare to the 445 USD I found from a local German discounter. Perhaps Garett or Jason could step forward to give some additional input?
Edit: I got a very swift reply from EBS Racing confirming the price and number, sounds very good.

Last edited by kris; 07-18-2006 at 08:22 PM.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:11 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by kris
This would be pretty good compare to the 445 USD I found from a local German discounter.
If the hose is OE genuine (as advertised) and not just OEM then I would consider it. Everyone (including Garrett?) that has purchased non-OE hoses has had major problems getting them to fit. If your local German discounter is like every other discounter they are sourcing the hoses from WorldPac and those don't fit properly unless you massage them with a hammer. I think Garrett bought the exact hose that you're looking at from EBS so hopefully he'll respond.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:01 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 614 Likes on 470 Posts

Hey Kris - that hose in your link is the one that goes from the thermostat housing to the oil filter console. I think you were referring to the oil line from the filter console to the driver's side engine case, correct? Having had such an issue getting that EBS hose to fit (I wouldn't call it massaging - I beat the hell out of it ) - I'd consider another EBS hose for the hose I think you're referring to (part number 96420725214 (54 in the diagram)) because it isn't as tight of a fit as the one I replaced.

EBS has that hose for $229:
http://www.ebsracing.com/item.wws?mf...Q025NZK&image=
Attached Images  
Old 07-19-2006, 04:21 AM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

Amazing how expensive these hoses/ pipes are....
Old 07-19-2006, 07:46 AM
kris
Skippy
Rennlist Member

Tx guys for your swift reply. I had another good look and the oil is dripping at the bolt (which is in a rusty and dirty state beyond comparison) connected to the engine just above the right heat exchanger. From what I found on the diagrams this should be the oil ventilation hose made up out of different parts. I could not locate the part number of the final steel(?) pipe which goes into the engine. Thanks for your time.
EDIT: The small steel(?) pipe is in fact part 964.207.257.11, nothing to do with ventilation . Now I just have to figure how I will bridge the time till end of August which is when I can have my car serviced. It drips quite a bit but draining all the oil now just to do it again in a month's time is a bit crazy.

Last edited by kris; 07-19-2006 at 09:13 AM.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:36 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by kris
Now I just have to figure how I will bridge the time till end of August which is when I can have my car serviced. It drips quite a bit but draining all the oil now just to do it again in a month's time is a bit crazy.
Is it leaking at the pipe-to-crankcase metal connection or where the metal pipe connects to the rubber hose with a breeze clamp? At the metal-to-metal connection you can loosen the nut and tighten it back up. Same with the other end, just move the breeze clamp or the hose slightly before you tighten it back up. It might be worth a try if your next service is not for another month?

Old 07-20-2006, 05:23 AM
kris
Skippy
Rennlist Member

Tx JasonAndreas, it is indeed leaking where the pipe goes into the crankcase. I'm not too sure about touching it, it looks like it might desintegrate at the slightest touch. The picture herebelow is not from the latest Alien movie but from what is left of my bolt, scary

Quick Reply: That sinking feeling