Sponsored by:

Distributor Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 09:31 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Distributor Bearings

I went into my distributor today to change the belt.
A couple of the bearings are in rough shape. I could repack them if necessary, but has anyone replaced theirs?
Is it a standard bearing?

Kirk
Old 07-15-2006, 09:05 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are there any #s on the bearings? Usually they aren't a "custom" bearing made by Porsche.... I'd get out a magnifying glass (my eyes are getting old) and look for a brand and #.
I'd be really surprised if these can't be obtained individually.
Good luck!
Old 07-16-2006, 02:31 AM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

First thing I checked was for was the standard numbers on the bearing races. There is nothing.
I have since heard that they are special order out of germany, and of course expensive.

I'll have to decide whether I want to just repack them or try and get them replaced... Sigh.

Kirk
Old 07-16-2006, 03:43 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

For a supplier I would check the Thomas Register or you might also want to try contacting the district service or parts manager for Bosch's aftermarket division in Canada. The OE parts division and the aftermarket division of Bosch are two completely seperate entities but as I recently learned with AFMs, MAFs and every other sensor made by Bosch, there will be someone in the company that can provide you with the complete specifications for just about everything they make. You just have to find the right person that has that stuff in their desk or find someone at Bosch willing to look for that person.
Old 07-16-2006, 06:35 AM
dutchcrunch
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default bearings

there is a guy here on the forum that changes belts for 150 and replaces the bearings as need. try to get a hold of him and maybe he can get you the bearing.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:26 PM
BS911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts

When I did my 993 distributor, I had a seized set of bearings. I opened it up and used a polishing wheel on a dremmel tool and whatever else I could use to buff any rust or pitting off of the bearings in question and got it back to what looked to my eye to be pretty good. I repacked everything with grease and stuck it all back together. Probably not the most professional way to handle things, but I have over 70,000 miles on that repack job and all still works just fine.

I talked to Steve Weiner at one point (while I was buying some shocks) about this. If I remember correctly, he said that he occassionally does run into bad bearings. I do NOT believe this was part of the "regular" belt replacment job process as you would be getting into more parts than just the belt. But Steve is one of the best, and if you want this done professionally to get your bearings back in new shape, he would be a great one to talk to.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:45 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

In the end I cleaned the bearings up and repacked them. Put the new belt in and reassembled the distrubutor.

Steve from Rennsport could have installed new bearings for me. I had a close look at them and decided they weren't bad enough to warrant me sending the distributor off.
(I have enough jobs on the go as is. )

Thanx for the help everyone.

Kirk

Quick Reply: Distributor Bearings