Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4 Owners in COLD climates.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 05:07 PM
951North
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

C H, could you elaborate on what items are going to "cost" me by driving in cold weather? FWIW PCNA have used my backyard to winter field test the new models (997/Cayanne). Our roads don't heave in winter, it's a desert here essentially, no water to freeze.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:44 PM
C H
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMHO winter driving on any car is hard on it. The shocks really take a beating, cold startups are where most of engine wear takes place, so you reduce the longevity of the engine (911 engines are a fortune to rebuild). Also the C4 has a high pressure hydraulic system that must pressurize to 14 bar (I believe) and operation at very cold temp probably isn't the best for the pump. Plus you are probably going to get rattles inside the car. The car is capable of what you ask, but I think of the car as a collectors car and wouldn't want to put it through that. On the other hand I would drive mine daily spring to fall, rain or shine.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:35 PM
jenskleis
Rennlist Member

Hi there,

Although I live in Moscow at the moment, I have kept my C4 in switzerland where I have my permanent residence.

I always park my car in a heated garage, but when I go skiing the car will often sleep outdoors in very cold conditions (-10 to -15C). It always starts without problems, and the cabin heats up much faster than with a watercooled car.

Obviously, cold oil is sticky so the gear change can be a bit heavy during the first 15-20 minutes if the car is very cold. I take care not to rev the engine above 3000 rpm until it is varmed up, but the old beast seems to be up to the task.

I have never had any problems with the battery, but then the car has never spent more than a few days outside in seriously cold conditions.

Overall, I agree with CHs observations. Using a C4 as an everyday driver in extreme cold is probably do-able, but it will take its toll on the engine. As a result, I am looking for a car #2 to use in the winter. Only the best will do for my 964!

Take care,

Jens
Old 07-07-2006, 07:05 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.reiffpreheat.com/Article-Busch.htm

Move south ?
Old 07-08-2006, 02:16 AM
951North
Pro

Interesting read there Indycam, some of it's applicable, and I learned some things I didn't know before...

I've been thinking about this some more and I think I'll hold off on a c4, until I can justify two three season cars and the I could go with either a c4 or a c2 or turbo for that matter cause it won't see snow or rain. I'll probably end up getting an e46 325ix or maybye even a new 330ix. Thanks for all you input guys.
Old 07-08-2006, 02:53 AM
f11
Instructor

I live in Edmonton (about 53.34.00 latitude), where last February we got several -25 to -30C days. I found the C4 was pretty driveable until it got down to -25C, then it started to sound and feel "funny". It was on one of these mornings when I was introduced to the dreaded Christmas Tree effect for the first time.

I have an insulated garage for the nights, but during the day while I'm at work it has to sit in an open parking lot with a clear northern exposure (I park with the engine facing south to avoid getting deep-freezed by the north winds).

While sitting and idling isn't particularly good for the C4, if you don't let it warm up at these temps before heading for lunch or dinner, you'll find the driving very uncomfortable and stiff... and more than a little hard on a 15 year old car's health.

My drive to work is only about 10km, so it takes more time to warm the car completely than it does to get to work... I decided that I'd find other means of getting around when temps can't rise above -25C during the day.

Last edited by f11; 07-09-2006 at 01:25 AM.
Old 07-08-2006, 06:49 AM
Bob Krantz
Advanced

Jason,
For 5 years in Anchorage, I drove my C4 year-round with no cold temp problems. My only "mods" were switching all oils (engine, transaxle, and front diff) to synthetics, including the thinnest Mobil 1 for the motor in winter. During some of the coldest periods (-20 F or lower during the day) when the car had to sit outside at work, I would start it at lunch so it did not cold-soak all day. At home the car lived in a heated garage. I did notice that in the colder months, the oil tank collected more condensed water, so I got in the habit of cracking open the drain plug and letting the water seep out every month. I did get to drive the C4 to Whitehorse one summer and visit friends--nice town.
Bob K
1989 C4

Quick Reply: C4 Owners in COLD climates.