Sponsored by:

hackless brake duct mounting

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 02:58 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts
Default hackless brake duct mounting

I removed my fog lights because I didn't want them to break on the track, and then have to replace them. So I thought I would put in some of those brake duct inlet thingi's. I ordered up a set from Getty. I searched the forums for mounting instructions, and all the solutions involved hacking my bumper, and bumperette mounts. I didn't want to go that way. I wanted a 100% reversable solution.

Soooo. I fabricated simple aluminum mounting plates that sit on the stock bumperette mounting bolts. I used 1/8" x 3/4" aluminum bar stock cut to size. These plates have two holes for the bumperette bolts to bolt them to the car, and in the center between these holes I tapped a #10 32thread hole for a stainless mounting pan-head hex bolt to screw into the plate. I then sanded off the opposite site mounting tabs on the inlets with a dremel tool. I then mounted up the inlets with the single bolt. The single bolt has enough grip to hold the whole thing in. I also put some double sided foam tape on the opposing side for a nice seal/no squeak setup.

A little flat black paint on the hex bolt and it's out of sight. I will have the ducts painted the car color when I take it into the body shop for some other touch ups.

I will take some pictures when it's light out. I am happy with the results, and no cutting required.

Note, that the ducts don't do anything at this point because the bumper is not cut behind them. It's simply aesthetic at this point.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:15 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Okay - you should know the inevitable question by now.....where are the pictures??

Marc
Old 07-12-2006, 02:29 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Ok, here are a couple.

Old 07-12-2006, 02:30 AM
kgorman
Drifting

me ashamed about all the bugs, I assure you all the car is clean now. ;-)
Old 07-13-2006, 09:17 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

How is the inner (medial) curved edge held in place? Just the tape?

Marc
Old 07-13-2006, 10:29 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Due to the complex angles that that struts undergo in turns, the lack of space to mount a reasonable duct backing plate to the center brake disc, the fact that the duct will either have to be squashed if routing straight back so that the front tire does not contact it (the hose will also reduce airflow to the oil cooler)or you will need to make a lot of bends, just leave the ducts as they are. Trying to use them as brake ducts will give you virtually no air by the time you rig them up to the brakes. I would keep the ducts as they will help keep your front radiator cooler on the track. There are some companies that sell a kit to try and mount a scoop from under the a-arm. I have tried to install a couple and they were junk. Maybe someone now has one that works that I am not aware of....
Old 07-13-2006, 11:56 AM
kgorman
Drifting

The tape just provides a nice surface to mate to, it does not really adhere anything. The single bolt seemed sufficient to me. Perhaps I will be proven wrong, but it's on there tight!

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
How is the inner (medial) curved edge held in place? Just the tape?

Marc
Old 07-13-2006, 12:00 PM
kgorman
Drifting

I mainly did the mod to replace a breakable fog light with something non-breakable. So I am glad to hear there is no point in hacking the bumber because I really didn't want to. Sure it seems stupid to have a brake duct going nowhere, but who cares. I saw a DIY on pcar.com, but the routing seems quite convoluted.

As I type this I am thinking to the setup on the USA Cups and the 3.8. I wonder if they have mods that I can copy for the routing?

Originally Posted by viperbob
Due to the complex angles that that struts undergo in turns, the lack of space to mount a reasonable duct backing plate to the center brake disc, the fact that the duct will either have to be squashed if routing straight back so that the front tire does not contact it (the hose will also reduce airflow to the oil cooler)or you will need to make a lot of bends, just leave the ducts as they are. Trying to use them as brake ducts will give you virtually no air by the time you rig them up to the brakes. I would keep the ducts as they will help keep your front radiator cooler on the track. There are some companies that sell a kit to try and mount a scoop from under the a-arm. I have tried to install a couple and they were junk. Maybe someone now has one that works that I am not aware of....
Old 07-13-2006, 12:56 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by kgorman
I mainly did the mod to replace a breakable fog light with something non-breakable. So I am glad to hear there is no point in hacking the bumber because I really didn't want to.
I put in some ducts too but did "hack" the bumper (a biased word with nasty connotations ) so more air gets to the oil cooler and a/c. It did seem to help oil temps on hot track days. Besides, if the fogs ever go back in, it'll never been seen.

Marc
Old 07-13-2006, 01:49 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kenny, I tried a number of options to get a duct routed to the rotor and nothing really worked. I ended up going to big reds to get more surface area. I also learned to use the brakes less and then had no cooling issues. I second Bob's recommendation to use the ducts for oil cooling (especially if you don't have a second cooler).
Old 07-13-2006, 03:18 PM
kgorman
Drifting

I am using the word 'hack' to describe cutting something up vs having a nice 'designed' solution or something meant to be a particular way since it was created. I am in software engineering, and we use 'hack' to describe something that we did 'just to get by' vs something elegant. Hope that word does not upset anyone!

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
I put in some ducts too but did "hack" the bumper (a biased word with nasty connotations ) so more air gets to the oil cooler and a/c. It did seem to help oil temps on hot track days. Besides, if the fogs ever go back in, it'll never been seen.

Marc
Old 07-13-2006, 04:01 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by kgorman
I am using the word 'hack' to describe cutting something up vs having a nice 'designed' solution or something meant to be a particular way since it was created. I am in software engineering, and we use 'hack' to describe something that we did 'just to get by' vs something elegant. Hope that word does not upset anyone!
No prob. - just pulling your chain.

Marc

Quick Reply: hackless brake duct mounting