Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake squeal gone.. but for how long??

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 01:14 PM
Idoktr
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Brake squeal gone.. but for how long??

Since the idiots sent me the wrong brake pads, I decided to remove the almost new Jurid pads, clean everything, add copper anti-squeal paste, remove the mushrooms and pray....

For the past few days, NO BRAKE SQUEAL!!!!!!! Wow....

Just want to find out how long this will last and if removing the mushroom could harm anything?????

Stewart
Old 06-27-2006, 02:24 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Idoktr
...and if removing the mushroom could harm anything?
Nope. I removed mine over a year ago and still enjoy squeal-free stops.

Marc
Old 06-28-2006, 08:53 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Hummmm.... I will remove, clean and re-apply the copper anti-squeal paste... Mine still make noise, let's see if redoing all these will cure the squeal... does not bother me too much anyway...
Old 06-28-2006, 09:22 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Wachuko
Hummmm.... I will remove, clean and re-apply the copper anti-squeal paste... Mine still make noise, let's see if redoing all these will cure the squeal... does not bother me too much anyway...
I dont know how you could even hear it in your car Jaime
Old 06-28-2006, 10:17 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by jimq
I dont know how you could even hear it in your car Jaime

Miss you too man! How is yours sounding with all the stuff you have done recently to it???
Old 06-29-2006, 02:30 AM
Bill Wagner
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stewart:

I took out the mushrooms, put in metal masters and used the copper paste nearly a year ago. Once in a while I will get squeal, but if I flush the pads out with water (after they're cool of course) it goes away, usually for another month or so.

I don't know about your Jurid pads, but the Metal Masters come with a damping material (looks sort of like a dark crinkly rubber coating) on the back. If the Jurids have a bare metal contact, I would buy some damping material (you can get sheets of it from Pelican Parts) and use it on the back of them. I would think the metal to metal contact of a bare piston against a bare metal back of a brake pad would eventually cause either one or both to wear a little. The copper paste should help alleviiate some of it, but I wouldn't think it would alleviate all of it.

I do know of one guy who tried some of that really sticky red anti-damping spray (I forgot the name but a lot of auto parts stores sell it) on the back of his OEM pads. It didn't help at all, and after a few months he pulled the pads out and the pistons had "etched" rings into the back of the pads. I don't know if this is dangerous...I sort of doubt it, but it does indicate that wear can occur in metal-to-metal junctions.

Hope this helps,

Bill Wagner
Old 06-30-2006, 04:22 PM
Tim@BHP
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gentleman just my $.02

Will removing mushrooms harm anything?
No the mushroom is nothing more than a noise damping system. It was designed to work with OEM friction material and may or may not have any effect on other friction materials. Caliper piston to back plate steel (or shimmed) interface is universally used on all automotive brake caliper applications. The mushroom design is unique to Porsche as is the counter weights on the 996 Turbo and Cayenne OEM pads.

Wachuko, in reference to your ongoing noise issues look at your disc condition. I am unsure what pad you are running but if it is a German based friction formula than your discs will be machined by the pads as the pads wear. This will produce an outer lip on the outside diameter of the disc. This lip interface on the friction material is a major noise generator. If this is present and you are unwilling to machine your discs than pull out your pads and chamfer the brake pads outer radius on a grinder. (Just enough so the pad will not encounter the outer lip on the rotor)

Of course as the pads wear a new lip will be formed and you’re back to more chamfering.
New pads on a used disc or switching pads around will always result in noise even if the discs look to be in perfect condition. If you were to measure the used disc that appears perfect you will find variable disc thickness (VDT) issues. Flat pad + VDT = Noise.
VDT on Porsches can be found in the outer lip and under the piston center line. (friction center of pressure) Feel free to contact me if you care too and we’ll discuss.

Mr. Wagner is correct that washing pads and calipers will reduce noise and he is also correct to do it when they are cold. Mr. Wagner’s damping material is indeed like a rubber coating and for the manufacturer is cheaper to apply than purchasing and bonding a shim on the pad. The rubber coating is in most cases effective (For street use) but has the major drawback of wearing out in the caliper piston to pad interface thus becoming ineffective. Hence your etched rings in the back plate, also these rings are normal and should not pose any problems.

Regards
Old 07-02-2006, 08:44 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Wachuko

Miss you too man! How is yours sounding with all the stuff you have done recently to it???
Car sounds and run great! I am up in Virginia this week driving a rental Cobalt so driving the back road twisties isnt quite the same. Did you catch the thread from Marc and Lawrence coming down our way in a couple of months? We need to get together with them.

Quick Reply: Brake squeal gone.. but for how long??