Sponsored by:

A/C compressor and 3 level pressure switch

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 06:01 PM
Mike_964
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A/C compressor and 3 level pressure switch

I have just changed a bearing in my A/C compressor but now it won't start.
I have checked the fuse and it works fine and there is 12V here, but the compressor doesn't get 12V so I guess its because there is no pressure in the system, and the 3 level pressure switch mentioned in Adrian's bible has been activated. So now I have 2 questions.
1) Can I just give the compressor 12V to see if it engages or can I damage anything?
2) Will the switch reset itself once there is pressure? (I guess so but...)

I know I could just fill it up with A/C fluid, but I would really like to know if the new bearing in the compressor actually works first.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:04 AM
LeRoux Strydom
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just apply 12V to the compressor temporarily for a short period to test if the clutch engages. It is not good for the compressor to run without gas and (more importantly) refrigerant oil, but a few seconds will not matter. I'm assuming you want to test for the bearing noise which requires the engine to be running. Clutch engagement can be tested without the engine running, just apply 12V and turn the compressor pulley by hand.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:23 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I used a portable starter battery to jump the wire coming off the compressor so I could do a recharge with no problem. Be sure that wire is pluged in that goes to the right rear of the car. It wont run if that is loose.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:08 PM
Mike_964
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried supplying the compressor with 12V and it worked without making strange noices, so now I'm looking forward to having it refilled on friday and head of to France in the evening...

Quick Reply: A/C compressor and 3 level pressure switch